Indoor "race track"

VickiC

Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte Fl
This is one of my Amazon deals. I place them in after soaking and let them wander for about an hour. My house is warm and they get a lot of exercise. Yes we have a big outdoor enclosure.

Attachments

• 20231130_175626.jpg
    20231130_175626.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hm, nice idea to make them moving :)
I would not do that in a colder room just after the soaking (they cool down through evaporation and drying). Maybe before the soaking, after morning basking warm up and feeding..

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
I would not do that in a colder room just after the soaking (they cool down through evaporation and drying). Maybe before the soaking, after morning basking warm up and feeding
Thank you
I make sure the room is very warm and don't laugh....I use it a lot but if it is after soak I warm it with a blow dryer before I put them in it. Nobody like a cold spa :) They love it and everyone is safe.
I would not do that in a colder room just after the soaking (they cool down through evaporation and drying). Maybe before the soaking, after morning basking warm up and feeding..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I worried for a second with the title of this thread.lol
Seeing how heat rises, and the floor is always colder than the rest of a room, at least get a infrared temp gun, if you don't have one and temp the floor in the " "race track". This way you know it's not too cold or too hot from the hair dryer.

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
😃
We have a heat gun to check temp and the racetrack is on a rug. The room is extra warm because I also have a bearded dragon. I monitor the temps because I am still learning and want everything to be perfect lol! I love this group and the great advice I get. Do you think I should put anything in it to enrich them? They love wandering around...not hanging at the sides trying to escape. ..

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I would add some hides. So they can play hide and seek too :) Cat play tunnel with some exits may work. You never know for sure with torts - they might be stressed as hell in the open space :)

Or drop some substrate, add greenhouse tent, couple of plants and a set of lights and heaters :))

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
😃
We have a heat gun to check temp and the racetrack is on a rug. The room is extra warm because I also have a bearded dragon. I monitor the temps because I am still learning and want everything to be perfect lol! I love this group and the great advice I get. Do you think I should put anything in it to enrich them? They love wandering around...not hanging at the sides trying to escape. ..
Might want to add substrate if you can, so they don't have to walk on a slippery surface which would not do great on muscle building.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is one of my Amazon deals. I place them in after soaking and let them wander for about an hour. My house is warm and they get a lot of exercise. Yes we have a big outdoor enclosure.
I think most of us are firmly griped by winter temperatures right now and don't realize how warm it still is where you are. It was 32 overnight here last night, and only warming to around 72 today. I think if you posted this while the rest of the country was in a summer heat wave, we would all perceive it differently. I know I would. I could not do that here right now. The tortoises would certainly get chilled on my floor in my house this morning.

I looked up your weather today. Looks like it will be a chilly 88 degrees there. Brrrr....

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Oops I should have posted my location. We are in Southwest Florida ....Yes it is a chilly 89 currently. We seriously bundlw up below 70 here