Question on outdoor weather (Russian) Any responses are appreciated.

Inspire2be

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Usually when my son gets home he takes Oogway out for about 3 hrs to wander in his temporary makeshift 12 by 12 foot enclosure (within a month his outdoor 10 by 10 should be complete 🤞🏻) or just wander the yard. Anyway. We’ve only had him a few days so still learning he’s guesstimated to be about 5-10 years old. This will roughly be the weather (click pic for full temp etc) when he goes out today…should we let him roam inside (after tort proofing), let him out like normal or just take him out for a few minutes. Thanks again! 😊💚🐢 Love the forum & you all! ✨🙏

Attachments

• 21783252-EC37-4F2C-A604-6E36EDABC562.jpeg
    21783252-EC37-4F2C-A604-6E36EDABC562.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 5

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would just do your normal routine. Those temps are pretty normal - like anything, just observe what your tort does when it is out wandering. If it’s too cold, it will bury down & stop moving about.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't usually take my Russian outside in that cool of air temperatures unless it's full sun. That can make a big difference. If he starts trying to hide either way I bring him inside. If that helps.🤗

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually when my son gets home he takes Oogway out for about 3 hrs to wander in his temporary makeshift 12 by 12 foot enclosure (within a month his outdoor 10 by 10 should be complete 🤞🏻) or just wander the yard. Anyway. We’ve only had him a few days so still learning he’s guesstimated to be about 5-10 years old. This will roughly be the weather (click pic for full temp etc) when he goes out today…should we let him roam inside (after tort proofing), let him out like normal or just take him out for a few minutes. Thanks again! 😊💚🐢 Love the forum & you all! ✨🙏
The tortoise should never be loose in the yard or loose in the house. That is a recipe for disaster that I have seen many many times.

With those colder temps and the cloud cover, there is no point in taking the tortoise outside.

Your indoor enclosure should be large enough to meet the tortoises needs, and the 10x10 outdoor enclosure will be great for warmer weather.

Be aware that Russians are incredibly good at climbing and escaping. They are also good at digging in to the dirt and disappearing, making people think they've escaped. Cap the corners outside and have an overhanging ledge all the way around to prevent escape.

More tips here:

Inspire2be

New York
The tortoise should never be loose in the yard or loose in the house. That is a recipe for disaster that I have seen many many times.

With those colder temps and the cloud cover, there is no point in taking the tortoise outside.

Your indoor enclosure should be large enough to meet the tortoises needs, and the 10x10 outdoor enclosure will be great for warmer weather.

Be aware that Russians are incredibly good at climbing and escaping. They are also good at digging in to the dirt and disappearing, making people think they've escaped. Cap the corners outside and have an overhanging ledge all the way around to prevent escape.

More tips here:
Thanks for your input!i was just curious on temps! ive never met a Russian who wasn’t a climber and this dude is giving me a run for my sanity 🤪 He’s never unsupervised while he’s out and he has a “leash” we have a house full of reptiles so our home and yard are pretty secure and fenced in. Everyone has an outdoor cage also for sunning. By walking in the grass I literally mean my son walks him on his leash like a dog …until he’s done then he goes to his pen. Today he actually went on an adventure and dug under his big rock ♥️ Thanks for the info! He’s opening up more and more everyday! Love this lil dude!