Infrared thermometer - Harbor Freight - Sale!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Hey everyone! Value alert! One day only sale! Run, don't walk ... Harbor Freight ... was 59.99 > today it's 19.83
Oh, and please kindly add your comments on this product if you are familiar with it, for others. I just saw that it was on sale. Yay? or nay?

http://www.harborfreight.com/mercha...d-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465.html

Cen-tech
Sometimes it’s called a laser thermometer, because you use the built-in laser to target the surface, but it’s really a non-contact infrared thermometer that measures the electromagnetic radiation coming from that surface. It’s the safest way to measure temperatures in hazardous areas (like automobile engines or other machinery), hard-to-reach places and other areas where a non-contact infrared laser thermometer is the way to go.
•Professional quality infrared technology at an excellent value
•Single circuit chip design prevents jamming
•Celsius/Fahrenheit LCD display with backlighting
•Nonslip cushioned grip
Uses two AAA batteries, sold separately.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Hey everyone! Value alert! One day only sale! Run, don't walk ... Harbor Freight ... was 59.99 > today it's 19.83
Oh, and please kindly add your comments on this product if you are familiar with it, for others. I just saw that it was on sale. Yay? or nay?

http://www.harborfreight.com/mercha...d-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465.html

Cen-tech
Sometimes it’s called a laser thermometer, because you use the built-in laser to target the surface, but it’s really a non-contact infrared thermometer that measures the electromagnetic radiation coming from that surface. It’s the safest way to measure temperatures in hazardous areas (like automobile engines or other machinery), hard-to-reach places and other areas where a non-contact infrared laser thermometer is the way to go.
•Professional quality infrared technology at an excellent value
•Single circuit chip design prevents jamming
•Celsius/Fahrenheit LCD display with backlighting
•Nonslip cushioned grip
Uses two AAA batteries, sold separately.

I own a lot of tools bought from Harbor Freight, so it's probably pretty well-made.

Going by there today, so will take a look. :cool:

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I have that one. Mine is off about 7 degrees

I like the one I got off ebay. . right on the money and cheap... Item no. 171144798534.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Thanks. Bought it. Total was $28.52 with tax and shipping.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The only thing it looks like it only goes up to 93 degrees. I would use one that at lest will go up to 125/150 degrees . But for spot checking the cool side its good but for basking temperatures its not going to do any good.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
mike taylor said:
The only thing it looks like it only goes up to 93 degrees. I would use one that at lest will go up to 125/150 degrees . But for spot checking the cool side its good but for basking temperatures its not going to do any good.

Mike, I bought one today and it did register my basking area at 104. The guy at HF said that it is used for car engines and for welders so is it possible that it will not go hotter. I am a rookie at this one. I had a simple sam one from the pet store, the one that looks like a clicker.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Infrared thermometer - Harbor Freight - Sale!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
mike taylor said:

Mike, I bought one today and it did register my basking area at 104. The guy at HF said that it is used for car engines and for welders so is it possible that it will not go hotter. I am a rookie at this one. I had a simple sam one from the pet store, the one that looks like a clicker.

Then thats a deal .

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh yay! I hope so. They are on sale until Sunday. Originally I thought it was one day only. Hopefully it will last. And be accurate. : )

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
mike taylor said:
The only thing it looks like it only goes up to 93 degrees.

What makes you say this? The specs say the range is -36.4° F to +968° F.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Re: RE: Infrared thermometer - Harbor Freight - Sale!

mike taylor said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
mike taylor said:
The guy at HF said that it is used for car engines and for welders so is it possible that it will not go hotter. I am a rookie at this one. I had a simple sam one from the pet store, the one that looks like a clicker.

Then thats a deal .
we used them to test cat convertors on cars.... They got hot. Really hot.. I'm glad the harbor freight brand worked for y'all.. Mine sucks bad. I tested it with the EBay one and a blue point snap on one from the hanger. It was off on hot and cool sides.. No luck with it. And I bought it full priced :mad:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thanks mtdavis254817! Oh-oh. I wonder if that is why they are 66% off? That they are not super reliable or long lasting. Then again, most of ours will never get used like a mechanic or welder might. Fingers crossed that it will do well with our tortoise temperatures. Which by the way, I used on my soak water this morning and just like Moozillion shared on her thread, it was hotter than I thought. Here is that thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-83628.html