infrared thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Recently I've noticed my male RT being really lazy and not eating or anything like usual, I put in my probe thermometers and it showed me the enclosure was too cold. It's been snowing here like once a week for the past month so I figured it was indeed too cold so I fixed it and hoped for the best. A week went by and he was eating even less and not even moving, this worried me especially since my female seemed to be doing fine.

So the other day I bought an infrared thermometer since I couldn't find anything wrong with him, it turns out my probe thermometers were off by almost 20 degrees!!! It was 115 at the basking spot and 90 on the cool side! No wonder he wasn't doing anything and how she was moving around and acting normal baffles me.

I cooled the cage down, changed around lights, bathed them and got it to where it should be. I'm happy to say he's doing fine now, back to his normal self eating and digging like crazy, and she's looking a lot happier too. Glad I got a temp gun before something really bad happened!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I will never rely on any thermometer other than an infrared temp gun! I couldn't live without mine...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
The same thing happened to me except it was a lot colder than I thought! I love my Ryobi point & shoot!!

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
My Herpstat has been nothing but flawless. I do have an infrared thermometer to double check it, though! I think the lesson here is to always have a backup.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Steve_McQueen said:
My Herpstat has been nothing but flawless. I do have an infrared thermometer to double check it, though! I think the lesson here is to always have a backup.

I had 2 probe type that were pretty close to each other but I guess both were off

EKLC

5 Year Member
What does your probe thermometer say about the room temperature?

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
The probe off of my Herpstat read the room temperature at 68° which was verified by my wireless hygrometer. I never had one of the cheap reptile probe thermometers, but they were all very poorly reviewed at the time I decided to get the Herpstat.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I'm not sure what they are showing for temps in my house, I was going to play around with them this week and see if I can't figure out what's up with them, but judging by their responses to my temp changes the infrared one must be right lol

EKLC

5 Year Member
Probe thermometers should work alright if they're away from the light source, in a dry environment, and have been sitting for awhile for the reading to stabilize. Temp guns aren't too picky with where you point them, though keep in mind the area you're scanning grows as you move away from the target

Status
Not open for further replies.