Injured Eastern Box Turtle

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I got a phone call this evening from a name and number I didn't recognize. It was from a woman that had a turtle that was run over by a car. And didn't know what to do to help it. She said she had made calls to several places but no one could help. Some how she got my number from some one at the American legion where I haven't been in over 6 years. She brought the turtle over and this is what it looked likeKIMG2631.JPGDoesn't look good but not sure it's fatal. I was able to tape it back together.KIMG2634.JPGbut every time he moves it works the tape loose. So what I did was retape him up and put
him in a small container and he is now in the refrigerator for the night. I don't know if it's going to work but will try to super glue him back together tomorrow before he warms up. Anyone have any better ideas how to help this guy, maybe make a comeback.

Attachments

• KIMG2634.JPG
    KIMG2634.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Owllea

NE Kansas
Lafeber recently had a great talk on chelonian shell repair. You may find some useful points in the print out.
Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can clean and dry the shell well, Gorilla Tape really sticks well. You would never be able to get it off. It just has to wear off. Maybe rip the tape into thinner pieces to make them easier to handle and place. Be sure to get antibiotic. In cases like this the animal dies from an infection rather than the shell problem.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you can clean and dry the shell well, Gorilla Tape really sticks well. You would never be able to get it off. It just has to wear off. Maybe rip the tape into thinner pieces to make them easier to handle and place. Be sure to get antibiotic. In cases like this the animal dies from an infection rather than the shell problem.
Yes.I like the clear repair gorilla tape even better. I've not had to do that for a tortoise ever though thank God. The clear tape has to be cut with scissors. You could use it like butterfly bandages though like the other. The clear repair tape stays attached longer on things. Maybe that would be a plus maybe not.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Lafeber recently had a great talk on chelonian shell repair. You may find some useful points in the print out.
Good luck!
Wow, THANK YOU Owllea for that document/Link...I will be keeping that for future reference...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sorry you couldn't find a way to help. You tried though. I've learned something and others have too. Maybe this knowledge will help the next little boxie hurt like this.

myk

London ontario
I got a phone call this evening from a name and number I didn't recognize. It was from a woman that had a turtle that was run over by a car. And didn't know what to do to help it. She said she had made calls to several places but no one could help. Some how she got my number from some one at the American legion where I haven't been in over 6 years. She brought the turtle over and this is what it looked likeView attachment 363140Doesn't look good but not sure it's fatal. I was able to tape it back together.View attachment 363142but every time he moves it works the tape loose. So what I did was retape him up and put
him in a small container and he is now in the refrigerator for the night. I don't know if it's going to work but will try to super glue him back together tomorrow before he warms up. Anyone have any better ideas how to help this guy, maybe make a comeback.
Awe poor guy,,some people are ignorant and think it's funny to just ignore them and run them over deliberately,,,I would suggest taking to a vet for x-rays for broken bones or internal injuries