Injured tortoise need desperate help

Location (City and/or State)
London
I’ve noticed that my tortoise has a cut on his face next to his mouth, it’s only just appeared after I gave him food and he’s always using his claws to tear away food so I think he’s caught himself and scratched himself. He’s bleeding a bit on his front paw from where the blood rubbed off from his face, please help it looks like a bad scratch what can I do???

London
IMG_0143.jpg

This is what it looks like, it’s not a good picture I’ve had to brighten it because it was dark but didn’t want to move him around and disturb him, as you can see there’s a patch where it looks like there’s blood

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's perfectly fine to treat it (first aid) like you would treat a human with a like kind injury. Clean it and dab on ointment.

Reactions: orv
London
What can I put on it that won’t cause him harm? I heard dabbing on some bicarbonate soda powder is good is this true?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rinse it to get it clean and keep it clean. You may need to put him in a sick tank with paper towel as a floor. If you think it won't get in his mouth, use an antibiotic ointment on it.

London
I live in the Uk, do you know the name of any antibiotic ointment? Ok thank you, I’ll try anything! Hopefully it heals quickly

London
Will he be ok? That’s my main question, from anyone who’s seen tortoise injury before I’d like to know if he’ll be ok and if he’s in pain

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
For something so superficial, aloe vera might be adequate.
In the US, a common antimicrobial OTC ointment is Neosporin.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I won't advocate it because I do not know if it would do any harm...but I am wondering if after cleaning if a liquid bandage like new skin would help since it would seal the wound and prevent infection.