Input for outdoor enclosure

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Manassas,VA
As you all know I'm the one that did everything wrong. We are building and outdoor enclosure in the area attached. I wanted them to have the entire backyard but I now know that with the pond and other hazards it makes sense to give them a secured space. Thank you for all your input20190418_145707.jpegreceived_439382120205175.jpeg

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
As you all know I'm the one that did everything wrong. We are building and outdoor enclosure in the area attached. I wanted them to have the entire backyard but I now know that with the pond and other hazards it makes sense to give them a secured space. Thank you for all your inputView attachment 273564View attachment 273565
They both love the pond area but after reading the info the last thing I want is for either of them to fall in. They haven't gone near the edge once but I can't be too careful. 20190528_183106.jpeg20190330_135230_HDR.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your making them their own enclosure though right?
They can not be housed in pairs. One will bully/kill the other.
That pond is really nice. Smart too keep them away from it as it would be ruined once they decided to check it out closer.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
That pond is really nice. Smart too keep them away from it as it would be ruined once they decided to check it out closer.
Yes we will be creating two separate spaces.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The areas in the first pic or the last pic both look great. The pond area is beautiful. It would be a shame to see that destroyed by a sulcata or two. And sulcatas are truly destroyers of their captive environments. As they grow, they will turn a beautiful tropical looking paradise into a barren desert wasteland in short order.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Can I have one enclosure but separate hides and divided spaces or no

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Stupid question, can they smell each other if they're close or just need to see.
I'm trying to figure out if I can have their enclosure side by side or if it needs to be across the yard. If course side by side I would build the wall tall enough not to see. Sorry for all the questions. This two torts thing really threw a wrench in the backyard plans. I just want to make sure I do it correctly

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm trying to figure out if I can have their enclosure side by side or if it needs to be across the yard. If course side by side I would build the wall tall enough not to see. Sorry for all the questions. This two torts thing really threw a wrench in the backyard plans. I just want to make sure I do it correctly
It can be side by side. Make the divider so that cant see thru or look over and sturdy so they cant just bust through.
You can do the same with the hide. Make it so that half is on one side and half the other side with a divider down the middle of the hide. Then you only have too make one large hide

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
It can be side by side. Make the divider so that cant see thru or look over and sturdy so they cant just bust through.
You can do the same with the hide. Make it so that half is on one side and half the other side with a divider down the middle of the hide. Then you only have too make one large hide
Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stupid question, can they smell each other if they're close or just need to see.
Not stupid. Yes, they can smell each other, but it should still be okay. If wall pacing becomes a problem, you might have to separate them further.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is an example of the type of night box/enclosure that Barb is talking about:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I need heat if I'm just using it for the fair weather months.
Depends on the temperatures. If you are only using the outdoor enclosure during times when temps are warm enough, then no heat is needed. If you want to use it during cooler mornings or evenings or rainy days, then you should have a dry, insulated, thermostat controlled, heated box for each one, or a double door, divided, single box like the one I linked above.

Mo & Bolt

Uk
I devived my enclosure but as they could still smell and see through the fence , they continued to try and fight. With both not eating and losing weight. Read my my post about what happened to us having two together. It was nearly death for one of them .

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
I devived my enclosure but as they could still smell and see through the fence , they continued to try and fight. With both not eating and losing weight. Read my my post about what happened to us having two together. It was nearly death for one of them .
I was going to use cinder blocks to divide their spaces so they would not see each other.