Cherry Head Indoor Enclosure

Adao

IMAG0355.jpg Hi all! It's my first post in here... I'm in the process of building an indoor enclosure for 1.2 Cherry Head Redfoot Tortoises... I already draw my idea but wanted to know any input from people that keep this animals regarding what do you think about the size I'm planing, and where would you put the lights ( UVA/Heat). Any other input would be greatly appreciated I want to get this right at first try.
Thank you for looking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a nice, large enclosure. Looks like you may need more than one heat source to keep the whole thing at least 80F degrees. I would have one centrally located UVB bulb, then two heat sources, maybe CHE (ceramic heat emitter), one at either end.

Adao

That's a nice, large enclosure. Looks like you may need more than one heat source to keep the whole thing at least 80F degrees. I would have one centrally located UVB bulb, then two heat sources, maybe CHE (ceramic heat emitter), one at either end.
Thank you so much for the reply Yvonne G. So one uvb would be enough for the entire enclosure. Do you think the enclosure is high enough? Like would the heat emiters and the uvb bulb be far way from the ground? How deep would you put the soil? I know its at all of questions but is to make sure if a need some changes o can make it now.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My substrate is about 4-6 inches deep but Cherryheads don't tend to burrow deep in substrate, so you don't have to have so much of it. Mine just nestles himself in substrate like maybe less than 1 inch deep. My UVB is about 10 inches above the carapace.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the substrate to be about 4 or 5 inches deep. And, yes, one UVB light would be enough. You want the light to be at least 12" from the tortoise's back.

Depending upon the size of the tortoise, you want the top of the wall higher than the tortoise if he stands on his back legs and stretches his front legs to reach the top. If they can get a toe hole on the top of the wall, they can climb over.

Adao

Thanks Pearly and Yvonne. I forgot to mention but they are gonna be adults I can't provide the right measurement now of them. So if I put the soil 5 inches deep then the front board ( the one that says 8") should be higher so that they wouldn't be able to see outside the enclosure or that doesn't matter?

The 10" to 12 " distance uvb from the carapace will make a difference on the design cause it will decide if the lamps go in or I have to make holes on the top of the enclosure for the lamps to be out facing the inside... What would you suggest?

Adao

Heres a little updated of the enclosure... Already started the first part of it the other will be in front of this one to make the "L Shaped" enclosure... What would be the best placement for air vents on the enclosure? I think the enclosures is not tall enough to have the lights completely inside, I may have to do some holes on top to make it high enough, inside the enclosure is 23 inches tall, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 45