Insurance

abyrhianl

Location (City and/or State)
Nantwich, Cheshire, England
We recently got our baby Leopard, and have just registered him with a vets and booked him in for a health check. The lady at the vets mentioned insurance, I was just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies in the UK[emoji217][emoji636]
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Insurance for a tortoise would probably be a waste of money. Follow our caresheets to the T and you shouldn't ever have to visit a vet. If your leopard isn't acting sick, then I wouldn't take it to a vet. A lot of vets don't know much about tortoises and end up doing more harm then good.
I had my first one since May 2011 and he's never seen a vet nor has he had any problems thanks tfo. I since have gotten 3 more leopards and a Russian. The only one to see a vet was a female who wasn't laying her eggs so the vet helped her along. Actually if I had just waited, I think she would have gotten it done.

shellyA

Haywards Heath
Hey, my friend recommended British Pet Insurance Services for her Hermann., she got cover for £5,000 in vet fees and I'm pretty sure it was something like £8 a month.
I just got a baby leopard too! Totally in love with it, it's my first tortoise! Want her to be protected and insured so gave that place a call and they were really nice to talk to and gave me some advice for new tortoises too which was a plus. Really reasonable for the choices you get with them.

https://www.britishpetinsurance.co.uk/pet-tortoise-insurance

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I've always been told that pet insurance is a waste of money. Instead, I have a line of credit with CareCredit that will cover all my critters in case of an emergency. No monthly payment needed, and as long as you pay it off when the bill comes due.... no interest payments. Has come in handy for us multiple times.

shellyA

Haywards Heath
I've always been told that pet insurance is a waste of money. Instead, I have a line of credit with CareCredit that will cover all my critters in case of an emergency. No monthly payment needed, and as long as you pay it off when the bill comes due.... no interest payments. Has come in handy for us multiple times.

Yeah true, each to their own i guess! I went with them because of a friend recommending them.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah true, each to their own i guess! I went with them because of a friend recommending them.
To each their own, of course. Most all insurances are going to require a deductible up front, on top of the monthy fee. Some even have a cap on how much theyll cover, and also limit the services theyll cover. Thats what turned me off. With a line of credit, you are only limited by how much credit they afford you, with no caps on usage or services covered. My company offeres pet insurance for around $5 a month, but will only cover up to $500 per year. Dont remember what the copays were though.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I first had to use a vet 40 years into owning a tortoise. Put the money you would spend on it in a savings account and draw it down if you need it. Otherwise, treat yourself to a holiday after a couple of decades :D

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I first had to use a vet 40 years into owning a tortoise. Put the money you would spend on it in a savings account and draw it down if you need it. Otherwise, treat yourself to a holiday after a couple of decades :D
...or buy more tortoises! Lol

shellyA

Haywards Heath
To each their own, of course. Most all insurances are going to require a deductible up front, on top of the monthy fee. Some even have a cap on how much theyll cover, and also limit the services theyll cover. Thats what turned me off. With a line of credit, you are only limited by how much credit they afford you, with no caps on usage or services covered. My company offeres pet insurance for around $5 a month, but will only cover up to $500 per year. Dont remember what the copays were though.

Yeah some insurance companies can rob you of money! That's why I did my research, lol. These guys don't even take a commission. Otherwise I would of been put off too!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Wonder if the offer services here in the Colonies. Seems nothing is sold over here that doesnt involve a commission or sacrificing your first-born to Zorkkon the Space God.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yeah some insurance companies can rob you of money! That's why I did my research, lol. These guys don't even take a commission. Otherwise I would of been put off too!
The only winner with insurance is the insurance company. £8 a month = £96 a year = well over £4000 including interest that could have been saved in the forty years before I needed a vet. Forget insurance and find a good savings account.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
Pet insurance is a must with my dog, and if there was pet insurance for rabbits in the US, I would've had it and it'd have paid for itself by now with how many vet bills I've paid for them. So I definitely don't think pet insurance is a scam in most cases.

But dogs are exposed to a lot of potentially dangerous things in and out of the home. Rabbits are just incredibly frail and will get sick no matter how great their care is.

Tortoises are a lot hardier than rabbits and aren't put in nearly as many potentially dangerous situations as dogs. There's likely a lot less opportunity for them to get into hazardous items, and with the proper care, shouldn't develop anything a vet has to treat.

I personally wouldn't look into tortoise insurance