interesting face on wild boxie

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
Felt compelled to post a pic of this little sweetie:

3tbt6.25.16.jpg

I caught her this morning and gave her a good soak. Tried to feed her worms but she was only interested in skedaddling. Not really shy, though. I released her, of course.
She has a distinctly convex plastron.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Is it my imagination, or does the face look feminine?

So...what your really saying is......"Dude looks like a lady!" Cruising to a bar on the shore..... Sorry had to bust some Aerosmith there at your expense:)

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
So...what your really saying is......"Dude looks like a lady!" Cruising to a bar on the shore..... Sorry had to bust some Aerosmith there at your expense:)

Huh? Unfamiliar with the reference, although i do see at least 3 FTM TGs in that band.
I figure the turtle has to be female. I have never noticed such a convex plastron before.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
All very nice turtles! You are so lucky to have them sharing space with you.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I took several pics of this guy i just helped across the road, but they were all blurry (I musta been trembling with excitement). But this one is passable:

ornateBT10.5.16.jpg

I have only noticed one similar to this many years ago. I take it this is an ornate? It actually looks fancier than the Ornate or Eastern pics that come up in google.
Normally i only see 3-toeds here.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Not an ornate, did you get any plastron shots? I'm thinking 3 toed or 3 toed hybrid.

Be hard to not wanna keep that one. Great looking turtle!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
[QUOTE="Loohan, post: 1344244, member: 52723"]How 'bout this for a face?

View attachment 179044

I am blessed this year. Seeing more boxies than usual. This guy was parked in the road right near where i found Felter a couple weeks ago.[/QUOTE]
Good looking tort! But why that FROWN on his face? :D

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks like 3 toed to me, did you count the toes? Lol

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I took several pics of this guy i just helped across the road, but they were all blurry (I musta been trembling with excitement). But this one is passable:

View attachment 188752

I have only noticed one similar to this many years ago. I take it this is an ornate? It actually looks fancier than the Ornate or Eastern pics that come up in google.
Normally i only see 3-toeds here.

Wowzers!!! I think this one would of had a Lord of the Rings moment on me, my precious:) I don't think I could of resisted the urge to help it cross the road and into my car to go to its new home....my house! Absolutely stunning! I also believe it's just an awesome shell pattern 3 toed.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Maybe so. I confess i was too blown away to think of the toe count.
I don't regret leaving him in the wild gene pool. Since i don't have the infrastructure for breeding turtles.

You made the right choice. I've had to make that choice and it's very tough at times.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Late spring, and the boxies are about.

Saw this one just sitting on the road this morning:

3tbt.6.17.jpg

Then on the way back a couple hours later, in almost the same spot, also just sitting there facing north:

3tbt.6.17a.jpg

I should have taken a profile shot of this guy. He had an extraordinarily flat profile. And concave plastron. But not the flashy male pigmentation.

Of course i helped them.
Unfortunately, in between those encounters, i saw a smaller boxie on the shoulder of the highway, partially crushed. Apparently on purpose.

M

Maggie Cummings

I was lucky enough to see mature 2 boxies (most likely 3-toed) on my property today. And they were only about 20 ft apart, making me wonder if they were "together" despite turtles supposedly not being sociable, or whether it was coincidence. I could hear the 2nd one rummaging in the leaves from where i was watching this one. I think she is female. The other one was real shy. So i only took pics of the bold one.

View attachment 151539 View attachment 151540
he's beautiful