Introducing Boris!

Location (City and/or State)
Bethel, Ct
Hello everyone!
My partner and I recently saved a Russian that we named Boris! We're new to the reptile world and I'm sure we'll be reaching out with questions!

20181120_102057.jpg
Bq5_1k3B8xT

coshepard

Ladera Ranch
Hello everyone!
My partner and I recently saved a Russian that we named Boris! We're new to the reptile world and I'm sure we'll be reaching out with questions!
Bq5_1k3B8xT
welcome to the forum! hope you find everything you're looking for. This is a great place to get feedback and tips from some of the best tortoise caretakers. :)

Bethel, Ct
Welcome! Be sure to give these a read:)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

You Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
We would love to see pictures of your enclosure :)

I think his enclosure is a little bit small for him, at some point I'll do an upgrade! It's 3ft x 1.5ft with about 3 inches of substrate varying to 6 inches so he can dig around a little bit. I haven't found a good organic soil to add yet, the substrate he came in is made up of small chipped cyprus mulch and "powdered" coconut husk. He's got access to a small pool of water near his heat lamp. I've upgraded his old plastic food dish to a flat stone.

I've read both the beginner mistake and care sheet pages when i first joined, super helpful!! Right now he has decided to stay asleep in his little log house which is slightly buried in this substrate. After a couple days he came out only to slightly bury himself under his heat light. It stays about 96 degrees directly under it (to low?) The other side of his enclosure is about 74 degrees (room temp).

Attachments

• 20181119_191716.jpg
    20181119_191716.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20181110_125504.jpg
    20181110_125504.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 31

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There are some things that need to be changed.

-as you have guessed, his enclosure is too small. Your tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

-that red light needs to go. Tortoises can see both a the color and the light, so it can keep them up at night, make them eat their substrate, etc.

-those button thermometers are very inaccurate. Use a digital one with a probe or cheap temp gun, and a digital hygrometer.

I see that you’re using a ramp bowl in one picture. If you haven’t changed it, ramp bowls are flipping/drowning hazards, and it’s best to use a terra cotta saucer.

-UVB does not go through mesh. You may have to cut a hole, or just fix it with the new enclosure.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! And so glad you saved Boris! Wowza.. that beak! It's so long it gives him such a cartoonish look. I'd love to see the before and after pics when you get him trimmed up. I bet it will be quite a transformation. Enjoy your new friend!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! Nothing wrong with Boris and his enclosure that can’t be fixed. I look forward to seeing him after his beak clip!

Mo & Bolt

Uk
Hello try not to worry about all the comments, but it was the support and advice and reading the information found on here that saved my torts life. Have fun with boris , mine love being hand fed .

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. My adult male Russian tortoise is named Boris.