Introducing myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendals42

5 Year Member
Hi all,

My name is Kendal, I live in south east England, and I have a 10 year old Hermanns tortoise named Daffyd.
He's been with me since about September last year, when I rescued him from a friend of my gran's, and I'm in the process of trying to help fix him up after he had to have his penis amputated :-( he had a recurrent prolapse problem, so my vet decided it was time for the chop, bless him!
Usually he splits his time between the garden and a tort table in the house, where he has a mix of play sand and sterile soil to live on, with a full spectrum uv light.
However, because he is post op at the minute, I've been keeping him a bit warmer than normal and on kitchen paper, because I was concerned about dirt getting in the wound. His tail is still swollen, and I can still see tissue through the opening, but I am not sure if this is to be expected? We are 10 days post op now. When would he be ok to go back on his usual bedding?I've emailed our vet a picture to get his opinion, but don't really want to disturb poor Daf by dragging him over to the vet to be poked and prodded again if there's no reason to worry

Sorry for my first post essay, any suggestions and help will be gratefully received!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Poor guy. :( Sorry this is one area I have never had to deal with (*knocking on my wooden head*).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kendal. I would keep him in a more or less sterile environment until the swelling goes down and you can't see inside anymore.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum. Poor little guy though... Pains me just to read about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.