Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
JoesMum said:
Jlant85 said:
Let me get this strait... you can replant them even w/ out the roots?

Yes, just stick the bottom end of a pad in the ground and it will grow :)

So cool! The Mexican super market near my house sells em!!! I don't usually buy them for my greek tortoise because I have plenty of plants growing but this a great addition to my enclosure!!

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
They would be considered "Nopales" in the supermarket correct?

The ones at my local market have large ones but their thin and kinda flop over when held upright.

to plant them, would I need to recut the bottom or just like that stick it in some sandy soil?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
blueturtle said:
They would be considered "Nopales" in the supermarket correct?

The ones at my local market have large ones but their thin and kinda flop over when held upright.

to plant them, would I need to recut the bottom or just like that stick it in some sandy soil?

Yes they are called nopales in the supermarket. I buy the thin floppy ones too and just cut and feed.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
wiccan_chicken said:
Where are you guys finding them. I don't think our groceries stores carry them XD I kinda hope I find them magically one day.

if you go to tortoisesupply.com you can get spineless cactus pads. you ger 3-4 for 11.00 (us) but the 3-4 are equivalent to 1 lb. they are nice sized and my baby leopard eats them right up. they last like 2-3 weeks in the fridge and you can replant them if wanted.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I just bought one of these today. I was shocked at how cheap they were. I think I paid 54c for a huge pad. I did stick myself though. I said never again! Then I chopped some up and gave it to the hatchies(Sulcatas) and they love it. Next time ill just watch my fingers lol

Just wanted to add I got mine at walmart. They didnt have many spines but there were enough.

KimC90

5 Year Member
I just got pads off freecycle. A lady in town was giving them away for others to plant. I was so excited and when I got home it hit me that I have no idea if there's been fertilizer or pesticides used on them.
I guess ill just plant them and start feeding the new

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To grow your own, cut a pad off of an established stand of cactus, or just order some pads. I try to get thicker older pads. Let the cut end "scar" over for a couple of weeks. Just leave the pad sitting somewhere outside in the shade. I just lay them flat on top of something. They can last for months this way. Once the end scars over, stick about one third to half of the pad in some dry dirt or soil the will have good drainage once you start to water it. Leave it dry and don't water for about one month. That's it. After it starts to grow new pads I just cut them off and feed them out. I use thick rubber gloves and a sharp knife. After cutting the pads I rub my rubber gloves all over them under running water to get any little spines or glocchids off of them.

This works in pots or in the ground. Over time I've learned which pads to leave behind to start a new branch and I cut off all the other ones to feed out when they are young and tender. Once you let them over winter they tend to get fibrous. Only my adult sulcatas were able to tackle the big old fibrous pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.