Is a 4x2x2 a big enough enclosure for my RT?

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi,

Im upgrading my tortoise for his indoor enclosure. I was thinking of doing a 4x2x2 for his indoor enclosure. Is that big enough or should I go bigger? If not do you have any ideas for adequate sized terrariums? I am building him his outdoor enclosure and I am still figuring out the dimensions that I want to do, but now that it's winter, he's only inside so I want him to have a big enough enclosure but not so huge that it can't fit in a house.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay. Do you have any terrariums in mind?
Nobody makes one that size and if they did, it would weigh a ton. Or more.

You have to make your own using plywood and 2x4s. Or hire someone to make it for you. If you make the side 18" tall, you will be able to carry it into any house. You can make a base with legs separately. Add casters to the legs if you want to be able to roll it around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay. Do you have any terrariums in mind?
I like using in the past pop up green houses. If you google portable or poo up green houses. The one in the pic is only 2x4 but they have them in lots of sizes.
They are cheap and if they don't come with a floor, some do, some don't a cheap tarp works.Screenshot_20201012-181858_Chrome.jpg

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Awesome. Thanks. I will look into that. I saw a website for custom monster cages and they have one that is 10x2x2 for $925. Is that big enough?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awesome. Thanks. I will look into that. I saw a website for custom monster cages and they have one that is 10x2x2 for $925. Is that big enough?
Only being 2 feet wide is small. Otherwise it would be good. 3 feet wide isn't as good as 4 but more acceptable then 2.
You could make one a lot cheaper though and the greenhouses work great and much cheaper.
If this is only a winter home and he has an outside summer home, then I would go cheap.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Only being 2 feet wide is small. Otherwise it would be good. 3 feet wide isn't as good as 4 but more acceptable then 2.
You could make one a lot cheaper though and the greenhouses work great and much cheaper.
If this is only a winter home and he has an outside summer home, then I would go cheap.
He's inside most of the day tho. There is an option for 10x4, so I guess I'll go with that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's inside most of the day tho. There is an option for 10x4, so I guess I'll go with that.
Think in terms of square footage. Length times width. Height doesn't matter as long as its tall enough to keep the tortoise in. Floor space for walking is what you need.

4x8' = 32 sq. ft.
2x10" = 20
4x10' = 40

Its really easy to put sides on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. 3 sheets of plywood at $20 each, and 4 2x4s at $3 each, plus a couple more 2x4s to make the over head structure to hang your lights from. You don't need a closed chamber or green house for an adult Russian. Add in the cost of screws and you are still well under $100. No need to spend $925+.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Think in terms of square footage. Length times width. Height doesn't matter as long as its tall enough to keep the tortoise in. Floor space for walking is what you need.

4x8' = 32 sq. ft.
2x10" = 20
4x10' = 40

Its really easy to put sides on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. 3 sheets of plywood at $20 each, and 4 2x4s at $3 each, plus a couple more 2x4s to make the over head structure to hang your lights from. You don't need a closed chamber or green house for an adult Russian. Add in the cost of screws and you are still well under $100. No need to spend $925+.
Green house isn't needed. However, they are cheap, come in many sizes and work great and for those that can't or don't want to build it's a great option. Not everyone has the room, know how, or vehicle to get the building material home.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Alright great. I have been doing research on how build a tortoise enclosure. I'm still figuring things out but the plan is to build a 4x10 enclosure. I've been wanting to build one for a while, so it'll be a fun project. Thanks!

Reactions: Tom