Is a Greek Tortoise right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
I have been looking at tortoises and I have chosen a tortoise that I like, the greek tortoise. Do you guys like this tortoise? I understand it stays somewhat small and is hardy (is this true?) There are just a few possible problems... 1. I live in cold new jersey. I understand i will need a heat lamp and uvb bulb, where can i get these relativley cheap? Second I only have room for a 4 foot X 3 foot setup, is this big enough? Thanks!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Greek tortoise, and I love her! I also live in New Jersey.

The prices of heat bulbs and UVB bulbs are going to be pretty consistent no matter where you go. If the prices of the bulbs are going to be an issue for you, tortoises may not be the pet for you! I've found that continuing care (food and such) isn't very pricey, but the initial outset is very high. You also have to factor in your monthly electricity expenses!

That being said, I think that a 4'x3' enclosure would be big enough for one as an adult, I understand that they usually only get to be 6-8 inches long.

Remember, there are a few months that you will be able to keep your tortoise outside too!

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
NudistApple said:
I have a Greek tortoise, and I love her! I also live in New Jersey.

The prices of heat bulbs and UVB bulbs are going to be pretty consistent no matter where you go. If the prices of the bulbs are going to be an issue for you, tortoises may not be the pet for you! I've found that continuing care (food and such) isn't very pricey, but the initial outset is very high. You also have to factor in your monthly electricity expenses!

That being said, I think that a 4'x3' enclosure would be big enough for one as an adult, I understand that they usually only get to be 6-8 inches long.

Remember, there are a few months that you will be able to keep your tortoise outside too!
Thanks for responding, the bulb prices arent an issue i was just seeing if i could save a few bucks. Can the same be said for light FIXTURES that prices are consistent? Sadly i cannot keep my tortoise outside as i have two 100 pound dogs and that might not end well for the tortoise. Thanks!

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
Up vote for Greeks! I wouldn't recommend more than one if you only have 4x3. See my prev posts for pics

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I own a mature Greek and 4' x 3' is too small for an adult. They need space to roam. It's the same for all Testudo

It's fine for a young tortoise, but in the next 3 or 4 years you will need much more space. Outdoors in summer is best.

One square foot per square inch of plastron is a good guideline for a minimum enclosure size. Joe measures 10.5 by 7 inches.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
You don't need to waste money on a fancy heat bulb. A 100W regular light bulb works just fine.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
A greek wont grow very large until at least 4-5 years old. And even then he will only be 6-7 inches. Would you be able to save funds and build him something outside that is predator proof from your dogs and other animals? It would only have to be in the summer time because he can hibernate through the cold months if you want him to.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Considering how high my dogs can jump and birds i dont think outside will work, what is the cheapest type of enclosure?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If space was an issue in your backyard then I could how your dogs would be a problem but if you have enough space then there should be no problem saving 100-200 or more dollars over 4 years for an enclosure outside sturdy enough to keep them outside.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Quick question- is it only iberas that have a very tall shell or will golden greeks have that too? Thanks!!

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Out if curiosity what is the smallest possible enclosure for a BABY greek. I say this because i am moving in a year and i will have more space then

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
It depends on where the tortoise comes from there are really a bunch of different subspecies of greeks. Several subspecies could go under the term of Golden Greek.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Eweezyfosheezy said:
It depends on where the tortoise comes from there are really a bunch of different subspecies of greeks. Several subspecies could go under the term of Golden Greek.

ok thanks, do you like your greek tortoise?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
zacheyp said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

I love my Greek torts they make wonderful first torts. For a first tortoise an Ibera would be better suited than a golden though.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Eweezyfosheezy said:
zacheyp said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

I love my Greek torts they make wonderful first torts. For a first tortoise an Ibera would be better suited than a golden though.
Why?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
They are just hardier tortoises as babies and more suited for a beginner tortoise keeper. I would also look at eastern hermanns. They are very similar to Ibera greeks.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Are golden greeks at least somewhat hardy. I'm not a total beginer, i've kept a russian tortoise for about ten years

Status
Not open for further replies.