Is a humidity gradient OK?

uscpsycho

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I have seen so many people talk about how hard it is to keep the humidity up in glass enclosures. I assume that is in reference to glass terrariums with screen tops rather than solid tops, correct?

I ask because my current enclosure has glass on three sides with a solid top. I have no problem keeping the humidity at 80% throughout the enclosure at night. And during the day my cool side is 80% but it's hard to keep the humidity that high under the basking spot when the temperature is 95-100 degrees. Humidity under the basking spot is more like 65-75% unless I really oversaturate the substrate to the point where I get condensation on the glass and then it ends up being over 90% humidity at night.

If the sides were solid instead of glass, would the humidity be higher on the hot side? Or will the humidity always be lower on the hot side because of the more intense heat?

Regardless of material, for a Sri Lankan star tort, is my humidity range OK? Will it go to the more humid side if it needs it?

uscpsycho

Los Angeles
I said the hot side humidity is 65-75% and I can't edit the post. Just assume worst case scenario of 65%. Is it OK to have a humidity gradient from 65% to 80% or does the entire enclosure need to be at 80% for Sri Lankan star?

And if so, would having solid sides rather than glass sides help keep the basking spot more humid?

uscpsycho

Los Angeles
I posted a version of this question in the enclosures sub forum but I think it is better here.

I originally posted there because during the day I'm having a hard time keeping my humidity at 80% in the basking area. So I was trying to get help with keeping the humidity up. But more specific to my Sri Lankan, is a humidity gradient OK or even maybe desirable?

In the evenings, when the basking light is off, I have no problem keeping the entire enclosure at 80%. And during the day my cool side stays at 80% but the basking side is around 65% during the day. The enclosure is five feet wide so there is plenty of high humidity area. I mist its shell several times a day and I give it a daily soak too.

So is this gradient OK? It spends a good amount of time each day in the basking spot where the humidity is lower.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Following.
I don’t have a star tortoise (yet!) so I have no experience to offer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen so many people talk about how hard it is to keep the humidity up in glass enclosures. I assume that is in reference to glass terrariums with screen tops rather than solid tops, correct?

I ask because my current enclosure has glass on three sides with a solid top. I have no problem keeping the humidity at 80% throughout the enclosure at night. And during the day my cool side is 80% but it's hard to keep the humidity that high under the basking spot when the temperature is 95-100 degrees. Humidity under the basking spot is more like 65-75% unless I really oversaturate the substrate to the point where I get condensation on the glass and then it ends up being over 90% humidity at night.

If the sides were solid instead of glass, would the humidity be higher on the hot side? Or will the humidity always be lower on the hot side because of the more intense heat?

Regardless of material, for a Sri Lankan star tort, is my humidity range OK? Will it go to the more humid side if it needs it?
It is normal for the humidity to rise at night when the temp cools to 80 degrees. Its also normal for humidity to be lower near the hot basking lamp. Condensation on the glass is usually a good sign, and 80% is listed as a minimum humidity.

We were informed a couple of years ago by a tortoise keeping member here that lived in India that the "dry" season over there sees humidity in the 60-80% range, while the "wet" or monsoon season sees humidity in the 80-100% range. These numbers are out in the open, and it would be closer to that 100% number all the time where little babies are hiding out in the wild.