Is a single tortoise lonely

mcory

Maybe it's a silly question :) I have learned from you all that having only 2 can lead to bullying but is a single Leo going to be a happy Leo? Anyone else keep just one?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
According to most, they do not. I keep four Leopards and five Sullies and I have not seen any signs of bullying yet, and I stress the yet part. Mine will most likely get seperated after their first year until they get old enough (big enough really) to go outside full time and I have enough room for all of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought the same thing. However, they are fine being alone. They don't have to share with anyone else. It seems if you raise more then one together from hatchling size, they seem to do better then adding another tort later. If you do add more, it is highly suggested to not keep pairs. Keeping in mind, the one you have may have to live alone anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. Tortoises have been around for many years, and the thing you see in the wild is that you will find one tortoise, not many, in an area. Tortoises are territorial and they chase any other tortoises out of their territory. When one tortoise lives alone in his habitat, and then you plunk another tortoise in there, he will try to chase the tortoise out. The new tortoise has nowhere to go, so he ends up being picked on all the time. Sometimes he will hide in a corner and stop eating, just to be out of sight of the original tortoise.

The best way to introduce tortoises is in a totally new habitat. One that neither tortoise has claim to. Even then, it might not work.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have 5 leopards right now. I have enough spaces to rotate them around. Sometimes they are in the group of 5, sometimes 3 are together and sometimes they are alone. Very rarely do I keep 2 together at a time.
I have noticed each one of then seems at their "happiest" when housed alone.
I notice huge changes in behavior when they are in a pair (which is why I hardly do it for more than a short period).
And everyone does ok when in the large group.

Basically, in addition to the above advise, I think they are fine alone based on my observations of how mine behave when kept alone.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Agree-agree-agree!
They are solitary creatures, perfectly fine alone on their journey. We keep them in captivity asking much from them, including for them to please have and like a buddy or two or three, but they are, how can I say this? very much an "always saddle your own horse" type of animal. I have my little herd right now, as babies, but am prepared for each to have their own territory later. They are cute all together now, young, little. But things can change as they mature. As long as the keepers have that in the back of their head for the good of their animals, all good. I have been told that sight barriers, lots of them, will help. Dunno. Lots of boulders, bunching grasses that can hide them one from another, fallen logs, things like that. And of course, lots of room so they can walk the walk. : )

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have only one 12-month old leo, and he does just find romping around his enclosure, messing stuff up, eating tons of food, in & out of his two pools, etc, etc. He's definitely not lonely. I did add a hatchling with him and he ended up bullying her, caused her to stop eating, and ultimately she died. I'll never, ever forgive myself. I'd say stick with one.

mcory

Thank you guys:) I am enjoying having her but do not want another tort:) well I do but not without more time and money which is not likely in the near future. I enjoy learning to properly care for her and excited to build a sweet new enclosure when finances allow. Again thank you!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
No tortoises being reptiles have a reptilian brain. This means they are missing the Limbic portion of the brain which is responsible for love, compassion, bonding, etc. So don't be afraid to keep only one. Tortoises are rarely found together in the wild if you don't care about the science behind it. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
To make it real simple mom torts lay eggs an just walk away why because
They would rather be alone

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
KevinGG said:
No tortoises being reptiles have a reptilian brain. This means they are missing the Limbic portion of the brain which is responsible for love, compassion, bonding, etc. So don't be afraid to keep only one. Tortoises are rarely found together in the wild if you don't care about the science behind it. :)

Thanks for that brain information KevinGG, interesting! : )