Is a small enclosure practical?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I've posted in the past about my concern for Russian's small enclosure, which is only 4'x2', and I have recently been wondering if the conditions my tortoise is going to be living in for a few more years (three at most) is really practical. She is a little bigger than 5" now, and she gets really bored in her enclosure. She hasn't eaten much last month, but now that spring is here she is getting jittery to go outside. My dad and I are building her a 10'x10, south facing outdoor enclosure for the summer/spring/fall months, which will hopefully be from late May to late September. I had previously talked my father into an 8' long indoor enclosure, but for some reason he suddenly said no to any bigger indoor enclosure. We compromised on a 6' long enclosure (made from a books shelf) and he agreed, but said no a month later (this week). They also won't let me hibernate her which I don't understand either. Anyway, is her living in a 4'x2' enclosure during the cold months good for her well being? I feel so bad... and I don't want to be one of "those" people who look like they don't or can't care for their pets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would have to say it's not the best. How about adding a second level. Lots of members have done that to give their torts more space. Russians are travelers, covering lots of ground, so a small enclosure is not going to make them happy or thrive

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
4 by 2 is small. but if is temporary, not a huge deal. Remember the rule of thumb a square foot of space for every square inch of tortoise
( or bigger if possible)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I did have a second level once... she didn't seem to like it. She never used it and acted terrified of it. I don't know why...
I know it's not best, but I guess what I mean is; is it okay during the winter? There is still a possibility of her getting a larger enclosure, i will just have to work at it again.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe try the second level again. Put her on the top level with some food and show her where the ramp is. Maybe put her half up or down the ramp. That way she will get used to going up and down it. Make sure there is some kind of guard on the side so she can't fall off of it. She will get used to it but sometimes it takes a little time. Maybe this will get you through until she can get a bigger enclosure. But at least she does have the large enclosure for a good part of the year so that helps. And her outdoor enclosure you could put up a cold frame, it is sort of a miniature greenhouse but the Tortoise can go in and out of when the weather gets colder. It's stays warmer in that little house then the rest of the enclosure, I plan to build one of those in my outdoor tortoise pen so that my Russian tortoise can get more time outside. I always bring him in at night but with the cold frame I can put him out earlier in the morning before I go to work and he might be able to be out there next year few weeks at the beginning and the end of the season. There are pictures of cold frames on this site in the enclosure section. These are just suggestions, I hope they help. It is great that you were thinking of your tortoises needs and not your own.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I just finished adding her second story. She was exploring it more than she did last year. I am still going to go for the bookshelf though, maybe I could even add this enclosure on to the bookshelf...