Is a water dish really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
My three Russian torties are outside and currently have free roam of my backyard. They will soon be confined to a 3 by 12 foot area, as my tort enclosure is almost completed. I will post pictures soon. Honestly, I have only soaked my torts a couple of times. They are very healthy and poop and unrinate quite frequently. Just about every time I see them eating I notice they urinate quite a bit. It is pretty obvious they are getting more than adequate hydration from the food they eat as well as the generally humid nights. Their enclosure will also get hit by the backyard sprinklers every other day.

Is it really necessary to provide them with a water dish. I can see how this may be a good thing during the very hottest parts of the warmer months, but is it needed always? I sincerely doubt they would come across standing water very often in their native habitats, and they probably have to go for long periods of time without any water.

I'd just like to hear some opinions on this? Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I say yes, mine use theirs all of the time.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Mine didnt use theirs at first but now they do... quite a lot even if its just to walk through and get the water muddy.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I say yes to mine drink all the time :tort: why wouldnt you want to offer it just in case they got thirsty??

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
How long do you like to go without water to drink or a bath?

The range of the Russian tortoise extends from southeastern Russia southward through eastern Iran, northwest Pakistan and Afghanistan. It inhabits dry, barren localities such as rocky deserts and hillsides and sandy or loamy steppes, often at elevations of 5,000 feet (1,500 m) or higher. In these arid regions, the tortoise is frequently found near springs and brooks where grasses and other vegetation are relatively abundant.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Please provide a water bath and bathe them regularly....

Dont just not do it because you think they wouldnt get it in their native habitats.... Its pretty cruel minded just because they cant say 'hello can i have a water dish to drink and bathe in?'

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ours use them alot! Not just for drinking, also for soaking and cooling off.

14e5t6p.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Watermelon said:
I love that pic, what a lovely tortoise....
:) Thank you, he was about two in that picture. Hatched June 4th, 2008.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
2 years old and that big! I would one of them tortoises eventually they are gorgeous.... just I'd need a nice big garden! Sorry going off topic....

I love their long necks. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises use a water dish and some don't. My Russians just hated to be soaked when I had them in quarantine with no water dish. But once I put them outside in a natural setting, they use their waterer all the time.

jhigh81

5 Year Member
My russian soaks all the time, seems like everytime I go check on him he is in his water. I live in AZ so it is very hot here, so I make sure to keep his dish full of clean water all the time.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Watermelon said:
2 years old and that big! I would one of them tortoises eventually they are gorgeous.... just I'd need a nice big garden! Sorry going off topic....

I love their long necks. :)

I love their long necks too. It reminds me of a brontosaurus.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Years ago I would have said you'd be fine without it. I would have been wrong. Hydration is more important than we used to think, and the smaller the tortoise the more critical it is.

I would soak an adult Russian at least once or twice a week, if it was living outside in my area, AND give it a water bowl all the time too. Babies or juveniles more. Look at it this way: What is the harm in leaving a shallow water dish out there and refreshing it daily?

The other thing that worries me here is that they will be outside, at night, getting wet from the sprinklers. I don't know how it is where you are, but our summer nights get down in the low 50's sometimes and I wouldn't want any species of tort all wet and outside on a cool night.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I rather have it out there and let them decided if they want to use it than to not have it out and they get dehydrated or worse...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree. While it may not be necessary as such, it is nice to allow them to choose when and if they need to use it. It also would give a much better impression to other people who may see them and worry about your care (as in if you are abusing them with no water available at all times).

My Russians outside are rarely seen in their water (or even inside for that matter).

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I rather have it out there and let them decided if they want to use it than to not have it out and they get dehydrated or worse...

2nd this.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
3rd this.

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
dalano73 said:

My Roger hates to soak. I put him in his "bathtub" three times a week for 20 minutes each soak. He also has a shallow pan of water in the enclosure that once or twice a day I set him in and he climbs out. However , every time I put him in he takes a couple of swallows of water. I would say yes to the water dish.

fgately

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the respones. Water dish it is! I was going to put one in anyway but I was just wondering about the subject. I have been to the areas where CDTs live and find it hard to believe they have regular access to water other than from the foods they eat. I understand that RTs come from conditions at least as arid as CDTs so this was a natural question to ask. I was just curious. Besides, my RTs hate being soaked!

Tom - The sprinklers hit only part of their enclosure every two days. I have included three hiding spaces for them I made out of wire armatures and mortar. These hides are very strong and provided good shade as well as protection from rain or the sprinklers.

The enclosure I made for them is very strong evidence that I love these little torts and would never "torture" them as another poster implied. It is 3 by 12 and has 13 inch deep concrete footings all around. We are getting two Border Terriers at the end of September and I wanted to be sure they are safe and happy.

I will take some pictures and post them probably tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.