is an 8x2x2 good for an adult red foot/cherry head indoors?

tortoisefreak21

Location (City and/or State)
new york
Is an 8x2x2 or something similar good for an adult red foot tortoise/cherry head indoors for its whole life I'll show pictures.

Tegu enclosure build | Page 3 | Our Reptile Forum
Custom Enclosures and Cages | Tegu Talk
How to build an Enclosure | Savannah monitor, Snake enclosure, Enclosure
7 ft tegu enclosure! | Tegu, Tortoise enclosure, Reptile enclosure
Tegu Enclosure Set Up

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is an 8x2x2 or something similar good for an adult red foot tortoise/cherry head indoors for its whole life I'll show pictures.

Tegu enclosure build | Page 3 | Our Reptile Forum
Custom Enclosures and Cages | Tegu Talk
How to build an Enclosure | Savannah monitor, Snake enclosure, Enclosure
7 ft tegu enclosure! | Tegu, Tortoise enclosure, Reptile enclosure
Tegu Enclosure Set Up
The enclosure looks very nice; however, most people who keep RF Tortoises are probably going to tell you that an area of 16 square feet is too small for an adult RF. It might be fine for raising a young one for a good amount of time, but once the tortoise gets full grown, it may not be adequate.

@ZEROPILOT may have a more expert opinion on this.

tortoisefreak21

new york
The enclosure looks very nice; however, most people who keep RF Tortoises are probably going to tell you that an area of 16 square feet is too small for an adult RF. It might be fine for raising a young one for a good amount of time, but once the tortoise gets full grown, it may not be adequate.

cherry heads

tortoisefreak21

new york

Or with Herman Russian and Greek tortoises can work and can I make a naturalistic enclosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The minimum space required for adults of the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet but the bigger the better. You could possibly add another layer with a ramp or make it L shaped to fit in a corner. Have a look in the enclosures thread for ideas.

tortoisefreak21

new york
The minimum space required for adults of the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet but the bigger the better. You could possibly add another layer with a ramp or make it L shaped to fit in a corner. Have a look in the enclosures thread for ideas.
Can you make a naturalistic enclosure for them?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm not sure what you mean, but when you have decided which species to get you can follow the caresheets to make sure all their needs are met with correct substrate, temps and humidity etc
If you start off with a hatchling you can start off with a smaller home for them but they soon outgrow those so when choosing a species you need to bear in mind what they'll need as adults.
I would advise reading the caresheets of all the torts you are thinking of and seeing which best suits your circumstances and space.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Question of curiosity. For a taller enclosure if you weren’t to add additional floors, would having really deep substrate which you can mould into slopes make more space (Surface area wise)? I would think that having deep enough substrate to make an environment such as this could add an extra foot or two space, and do well exercising the tortoise.

Just a note for OP, this is not a recommendation, this is a question following my own curiosity.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have a 4x8 for my redfoot, she is about 16 inches. She seems to like it and has not tried to escape or flip herself like she used to in her old 4x4 enclosure, which makes me think it's adequate for now. She probably still has some growing to do.

The enclosure is hardly naturalistic but I offer water, shade, heat, humidity, and deep enough substrate for her to burrow when sleeping. Plants have been horribly unachievable as she either eats or destroys them, but I have tried many, many times. She will also have an outdoor enclosure for the summer months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can try, but most tortoise species will eat or trample anything you try to plant in there.

An enclosure for an adult CH would need to be at least double what you've proposed, and quadruple would be better if its never going to have a large outdoor enclosure in the warmer months.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I have a 4x8 for my redfoot, she is about 16 inches. She seems to like it and has not tried to escape or flip herself like she used to in her old 4x4 enclosure, which makes me think it's adequate for now. She probably still has some growing to do.

The enclosure is hardly naturalistic but I offer water, shade, heat, humidity, and deep enough substrate for her to burrow when sleeping. Plants have been horribly unachievable as she either eats or destroys them, but I have tried many, many times. She will also have an outdoor enclosure for the summer months.
I was about to post but this was going to be my response as well

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I personally wouldn't attempt to use plants or anything that's not 100% necessarily into an enclosure that small.
(For that tortoise)
Make it as large as you are physically able to. Remembering that It can't be too large.