Is he territorial?

Ms.Opal

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My husband found a sulcata walking towards the street. We're looking for its owners. Meanwhile we have him here with us. He keeps chasing my dog , no biting. Also if my daughter runs he will chase after her.
If we don't find the owners . In not sure if we will keep him since we have a desert tortoise that we rescued a few months ago.
I wouldn't leave my dog or daughter with the sully alone. I'm just curious.

Attachments

• IMG_5866.JPG
    IMG_5866.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5872.JPG
    IMG_5872.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5874.JPG
    IMG_5874.JPG
    971.6 KB · Views: 45

Bass.Isles

That is a big boy! Lol. What type of desert tortoise did you rescue previously?

Bass.Isles

California desert tortoise ,she was attacked by dogs [emoji852]️
How sad. I'm glad you could help her. I hope you find this big guys owner, cuz taking on something of his size would be quite different from the Cali desert tort. Lol. My aunt actually works 911 dispatch here in Florida and someone called in a couple months ago freaking out about a "gigantic monster turtle" in the woods behind his house. Turned out it was a 100+ lb male Sulcata that had broken out of his yard enclosure half a mile away, a day earlier. His family was very happy to have him back lol.

Ms.Opal

Southern California
How sad. I'm glad you could help her. I hope you find this big guys owner, cuz taking on something of his size would be quite different from the Cali desert tort. Lol. My aunt actually works 911 dispatch here in Florida and someone called in a couple months ago freaking out about a "gigantic monster turtle" in the woods behind his house. Turned out it was a 100+ lb male Sulcata that had broken out of his yard enclosure half a mile away, a day earlier. His family was very happy to have him back lol.
Hahahaha! Glad the story has a happy ending.
Yes , it's a lot different that's for sure. he's already rearranging all my outdoor furniture.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hahahaha! Glad the story has a happy ending.
Yes , it's a lot different that's for sure. he's already rearranging all my outdoor furniture.
My sully loves to do that! He drags heavy teak lounge chairs out onto the lawn like they weigh nothing.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Watch Craigslist for tortoises that are lost and you can also call around the vets. Signs on the Main Street to your area might work. Sometimes a tortoise is chipped but it's rare.

Bass.Isles

How do you go about getting that done? The same process as a dog? Is it dangerous/harmful to the tort? Like any more so than it is to a dog or cat?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How do you go about getting that done? The same process as a dog? Is it dangerous/harmful to the tort? Like any more so than it is to a dog or cat?

I had Joe chipped by my herp vet. Here in the UK, as part of the CITES paperwork, torts must be chipped. It's only the elderly pre-CITES ones that aren't