Is it better to grow up together or apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I want to get another redfoot next year and eventually breed them if one is a male and other is a female. My question is if it is better for a breeding pair to grow up together or apart? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think this matters, but I'm curious what others have to say.

By the way, pairs are not a good way to go, if you eventually intend for them to live together. They will all be much happier with at least two females and one male. If you intend to house them separately and only introduce them occasionally for breeding, then a pair is fine.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Breeding can be tricky, it depends on the male. Most redfoot males will breed more readily when there are other males with them. I guess it's an ego thing, lol. However, this can vary, certain males will breed with any female regardless of his or her size and regardless of whether or not there are other males around. Usually your best case scenario is to have a small group such as 1 male and 2 females or 2 males and 3 females.

The theory is that having a pair grow up together reduces chances of future breeding because they're so "used" to each other, this is false in my honest opinion. Boys will be boys and when their instinct comes calling, believe me they will go for it. I think keeping them will be perfectly fine. When the time comes for them to be breeding you could then separate the for better results. But remember young females are less likely to produce a good clutch on their first couple of tries. It takes maturity for sucessful breeding.

I hope this helps and let me know when your looking for another redfoot! ;-)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was looking at yours this season:) hope to see yours and others out there next year!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I let mine live together, but when I want to ensure breeding, I separate them for a while. Absence makes the heart grow fonder in my yard! :)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have allot more than wants for sale, I've just been waaaaay to busy to post any new threads! :)

mattgrizzlybear said:
I was looking at yours this season:) hope to see yours and others out there next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.