Is it just me? (tortoise longevity)

Moore

hey guys,
I have been thinking a lot about the future of my tortoises, and due to their longevity it brings me to "how old will I be when..." I'm 24 now, just bought a bunch of babies. As cute as they are, as an owner you naturally can't wait to see them as adults and at breeding age. So I find it funny that as ambitious as I am, tortoises tend to limit you in life because you'll never see the whole project (tortoise lifespan) through. When my Burmese Browns are breeding age I'll be about 40, halfway to retirement!!! Weird perspective that I've never encountered with other pets.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
i'm 24 as well and i sit back and think about this all the time i even have a notebook on the enclosure that say's " in case of emergency" that has all the details of how to take care of my tort if something were to happen to me it has this website wrote down and also say's if for any reason he needs to be re homed ever come here to find a new home along with explaining that shipping a reptile is Ok as long as it's done right and also have ship your reptiles website and contact number in the book.

Rue

Canada
I have 1 tortoise and 3 parrots that are all likely to outlive me ! :confused:

Me too...and that's not including my daughter's geriatric budgie that she left behind or my younger son's cockatiel...

I would have happily adopted a 40+ year old tortoise. I looked. Couldn't find one needing a new home.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm not sure I would have thought about it much when I was 24. Charlie is 10 years younger than my son so he could outlive my children.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I, for one, think this is a great thing. A tortoise out of time...a living relic...a breathing, pooping heirloom.

Speaking of tortoise poops, I hope my future kids and I have a good relationship. We're gonna need one...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's a contest between me and my tortoises who will live longer. Game on!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All you can do is have kids and hope one will take over for you one day . My boys are already fighting over Harry and Sally . ( the sulcata tortoises )

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All you can do is have kids and hope one will take over for you one day . My boys are already fighting over Harry and Sally . ( the sulcata tortoises )
To be fair, they're likely to have to be housed separately anyway so one each is the way to go.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
My daughter has claimed first dibs on Goosefoot. :tort::<3:

No one seems to want my parrots. :( But maybe by the time I croak, the kids will be more interested in them...(keeps fingers crossed)...my younger son at least likes birds...and is fond of the African Grey and the Pionus. He just has to learn to like the Amazon...:p

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Parrots are my favorite pets, I'm always worried I'll amass a "wealth" of birds and not have enough kids to inherit them. Hell @Rue I'll take your parrots! :p (joking)

Reactions: Rue