Is it o.k. to dig an RT out when burrowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Our RT is very regimented in his daily routine. He is indoors during the night, while we are finishing the roof of his outdoor palace. At 7 a.m. he wakes up and then I either feed him inside or take him outside to his new outdoor pen. He stays outside all day, walks around in the a.m. and then burrows in a favorite spot until late afternoon, walks around and then burrows again. I like to take him inside for the night to protect him from predators. There have been several days that he burrows back in his spot before we can take him inside. We have been digging him out to bring him inside but can't help feeling awful each time we have to do that. Is it bad for him? We should have the outdoor pen finished in another few weeks but worry that we might be causing him stress in the meantime. Please.... your thoughts?

Attachments

• 07-08 Palace2.jpg
    07-08 Palace2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 06-08 Yuri-6web.jpg
    06-08 Yuri-6web.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 39

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it bothers him, as its his normal routine. He probably gets tired waiting for you and feels vulnerable, so he digs in. No big deal.

Yvonne

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Doesn't seem to have a lasting impact on mine when I dig them out. With five of them it's almost a given than at least one has already dug in for the night just about anytime to bring them in. If I bring them in too early (before any of them have dug in for the night) then they are up pacing for a long time in the indoor pen. When I bring them in after most have started to dig in they lounge for a short while under the lamps and one by one wander off to bed. No apparent issue with pulling them out of their night spot.

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Thanks so much for your responses. Now I will be able to leave him outside a little longer and not worry about 'catching the right moment' to bring him inside.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I wouldn't worry.... Nice pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.