Is it wise to use aquarium things to feed my tortoise?

byviolet

so I have a little 3 gallon aquarium and I have lots of plants in it that grow like crazy. It also has pond snails. Normally I would just take some plants (mainly duckweed) and snails and throw them out. However, what if I feed them to my tortoise instead? Are things like duckweed and pond snails from the aquarium okay for my tortoise?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
What type of tortoise do you have? Most can't eat protein, because they can't digest it. Duckweed is great for turtles, they love it, but I'm sure a tort (again, what type) would want to eat something so squishy and wet.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How do you get your duckweed to grow? I've been having trouble finding some.

byviolet

I just leave it in my aquarium and it grows haha... I know you can try ei dosing or pps but I don't do ferts yet. Duckweed should grow fairly easilyin most conditions, it's a hardy plant :). and I have a redfoot

turtlemanfla88

do you keep any turtles in the aquarium? reptiles?,amphibians?. If not then my only concern would be how long have you had the snails and where did you get them from?. A lot of people do not realize snails can carry a lot of parasites.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I just leave it in my aquarium and it grows haha... I know you can try ei dosing or pps but I don't do ferts yet. Duckweed should grow fairly easilyin most conditions, it's a hardy plant :). and I have a redfoot
Oh that's fine then. Redfoots need a little protein :D I've read they really like those!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/feeding-live-garden-snails-to-redfoots.71050/
well, from what I understand, people have trouble getting rid of it, so I would guess it would be pretty easy to cultivate! Problem is, I can't find any to grow... such as seeds (how does it reproduce itself??)

byviolet

Oh that's fine then. Redfoots need a little protein :D I've read they really like those!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/feeding-live-garden-snails-to-redfoots.71050/
well, from what I understand, people have trouble getting rid of it, so I would guess it would be pretty easy to cultivate! Problem is, I can't find any to grow... such as seeds (how does it reproduce itself??)
it just grows extra leaves then they separate... if you pay for shipping I'll send some to you for free! I'm in canada though so it is probably better to buy from your lfs :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
it just grows extra leaves then they separate... if you pay for shipping I'll send some to you for free! I'm in canada though so it is probably better to buy from your lfs :p
:D Thank you! I live right to a river, and some grows a mile downstream, so I thinking about sanitizing it (with vinegar??) It probably won't work out, so I'll PM you :D