Is Miracle Gro safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
I'm planning on getting some Sulcata Seed Mix and some other items started in Spring Mix containers indoors. Is it safe to use Miracle Gro potting soil?

Is this safe? If not, any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Miracle Grow potting soil has the fertilizer mixed in the soil. I chose to use the organic starter soil for all my plants to make sure there were no chemical fertilizers already in the mix.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I ended up using the Jiffy indoor planter things... it was like 2-3 dollars and has peat pellets. Which is wood pulp I believe if not you can buy their potting soil which is made of the same thing with some stone in it. They seem to grow very well indoors as it's pretty cold out and it was snowing yesterday. This was the grass thing at the 4th day. Grass.jpg
Don't mind the other empty planter... that for my future hibiscus plants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I do not see any risk using fertilizers sold for plants people will eat, especially not those that have good reputations.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I would not use Miracle Grow potting soil in the same area my tortoises frequent. I don't want them to have the opiton of eating vermiculite or perlite. I also dont want them to come into physical contact with the fertilizer.

If your worry is them eating grass grown with Miracle Grow, I would'nt worry... too much.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Onarock has a good point- My guys are all little and indoors so I did not think about the enclosure aspect. Tortoises love to eat little white pellets- it reminds them of many tasty things back home. While there are a lot of recorded reports of them not being harmed by some kinds of pellets, others are certainly more risky and it is generally not worth it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
We will not use the miracle grow, thanks everybody:). I have alway's had such a black thumb and with the 2 day's of spring and then more snow I thought I needed all the help I could get ( it is called "miracle" grow). I am just going to use organic potting soil and when our farmers market opens I am going to pick their brains for tips and trick's. Thank's again.

Status
Not open for further replies.