is my hatchling dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
It had reached 69 days in the incubator at 32 degrees. so I thought I would help by gently opening the egg.to see if there was a hatchling in there.I found a perfectly formed baby but its not moving and the remainder of the egg sack has gone hard. I have put it in luke warm shallow water hoping for the best. has anyone got any advice? thanks

Attachments

• 1372276590466.jpg
    1372276590466.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 1372274482321.jpg
    1372274482321.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 138

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
AustinASU said:
You should have left it alone.

after 3 years of infertile eggs I thought I would check as it had gone past the time scale I had been told. The egg sack was really hard when opened.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Not to be harsh.. But I think you should of left him/her alone.. Some take longer than others. Some things take time and patience.. But I fear by manually opening the egg before it was ready wasn't the best idea.

I would suggest posting your concern in the future about anything your wondering before you take a action. That way others could come forward and share experiences with eggs,incubation rates, and the lot.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It appears deceased. What regime of incubation do you use. IE incubation medium, what ratio of water to medium? Do you spray the eggs down once, twice threes times a week, never etc... Full term embryonic death is what it appears you are seeing here. Typically caused by a number of issues. Too dry can be one, too wet can be one. So lets see if we cant manipulate or tweak your method to get these guys to hatch out and live on.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
tortadise said:
It appears deceased. What regime of incubation do you use. IE incubation medium, what ratio of water to medium? Do you spray the eggs down once, twice threes times a week, never etc... Full term embryonic death is what it appears you are seeing here. Typically caused by a number of issues. Too dry can be one, too wet can be one. So lets see if we cant manipulate or tweak your method to get these guys to hatch out and live on.

I used a hobavator with vermiculite. I initially made the vermiculite moist but not over moist. I then sprayed it with water once every other week but had 2 shallow plastic containers in full of water.

what would you suggest moving forward?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.