Need hatchling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Hey guys, I finally have my first hatchling red-foot, well sort of. He was laid 7/17/10. After the 4 month mark had passed I started to get concerned about the egg and the hatchling inside. The bottom of the egg formed a crack along the bottom and turned a dark brown. I waited a week and decided to take matters into my own hands and break him out. I carefully chipped the shell away and took him out. His yolk sac was still very large and he was very active and alert. Now comes the challenge of keeping him hydrated and making sure the yolk sac does not become infected.

I took a section of an egg carton, dampened a paper towel, and placed him in there so it could support the yolk. I then put him in a clear rubbermaid bowl with a lid in the incubator with the other eggs that were just laid.

Has anyone else had to deal with this before? If so, I would love to know what you did. I think the egg carton works well, but if there is something else that is better please let me know. Thanks.

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to use a damp paper towell too but Danny told me to put antibiotic ointment on it instead. Something about too much water might be absorbed with the wet towell??? Danny?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Never liked wet paper towels :D They dry quickly and if to wet the yolk can absorb to much water and cause problems with the hatchling. If you can find a small container that the hatchling can't fall off the yolk in, smear the bottom with triple antibiotic ointment. This will keep the yolk from drying out while it's getting absorbed.

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks guys. I'll do that. My vet tech mind kicked in before I posted and I put the antibiotic cream all over the yolk sac, but I wasn't sure what was best to put him in. What if I kept him in the egg carton and removed the paper towel?

-Matt

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The best thing would have been to leave it along, however keep him dry and put a dab of neosporin on the bottom of the yolk sac. Let him absorb it naturally and do not stress him, let him be unbothered and warm in a shaded area. He should be fine. I actually did the same thing when I got my first hatchling, over excited.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks, I wasn't over excited at all. I was really more concerned. There was a huge crack on the bottom of the shell and it was turning a nasty brown color. When I candled the egg I couldn't see him moving anymore. I figured it was dead from exposure, and it was past its hatching time.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.