Should I name my baby sulcata 'Prince'?

• No, choose a different name!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PrinceTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pharr tx
Hi to anyone who reads this! So I'm new around here and recently (a week ago) purchased a baby sulcata tortoise which I named Prince. Prince has been doing great, but earlier I noticed he (i'm assuming Prince is a boy) couldn't open his eyes. He was trying to open his eyes for a while then got one open, then after a while they were both open. But when he opened His eyes, there was goo on them. I don't know what this means, but is this some sorta infection I should worry about? Is there anything I can do? And can this cause death? He's also been kinda scratching his eye/head with the little spikes on his leg, does that mean his eyes bug him, or is this normal?

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
This happened to one of my Russians a while back so I changed the substrate and the humidity. I also began soaking her a lot more. After a day or two her eyes cleared up and stopped bugging her.

I also bought reptile eye drops and gave them to her.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

PrinceTheTortoise

pharr tx
Greetings and Welcome

Make sure you read up on the Care Sheet - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Lights: What kind of lights are you using? This “sounds” like a lighting issue...so upload some pictures of the type of bulbs you are using.

Soaking: how often are you soaking?

Upload some pix of lights and your overall enclosure.

Good luck
sorry for like a really late reply.. the lightbulb is a 50 watt lightbulb for tortoises. the eye problem had went away but came back, i got prince some eye drops, they work in opening his eyes but when wakes up from his nap, his eyes wont open

PrinceTheTortoise

pharr tx
Greetings and Welcome

Make sure you read up on the Care Sheet - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Lights: What kind of lights are you using? This “sounds” like a lighting issue...so upload some pictures of the type of bulbs you are using.

Soaking: how often are you soaking?

Upload some pix of lights and your overall enclosure.

Good luck
Maybe it has to do with his diet? what should i feed him, ive been searching online for things i should feed him but got even more confused. one website says one thing the other says not that.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Make sure that your not using the coil type bulb. It’s been proven to cause eye problems.. also, stop googling on the web. You’ll find all kinds of false information.. read the care sheets attached above and if you still have questions, do a search here in the TFO.. it’s almost certain that you’ll find an answer. These answers are based on real trial and error experiences.. good luck !

drew54

Indiana
Can you give us your four temps?

Picture of your enclosure?

How old is the tortoise?

What substrate are you using?

What's the humidity?

How are you measuring your temps?

Do you have pics of the tortoise?

This info will better help us help you.

PrinceTheTortoise

pharr tx
Make sure that your not using the coil type bulb. It’s been proven to cause eye problems.. also, stop googling on the web. You’ll find all kinds of false information.. read the care sheets attached above and if you still have questions, do a search here in the TFO.. it’s almost certain that you’ll find an answer. These answers are based on real trial and error experiences.. good luck !
Ok, thanks!

PrinceTheTortoise

pharr tx
Can you give us your four temps?

Picture of your enclosure?

How old is the tortoise?

What substrate are you using?

What's the humidity?

How are you measuring your temps?

Do you have pics of the tortoise?

This info will better help us help you.
Prince Is about 3 months old. The substrate is fir bark. And the other stuff i dont really know about, sorry. But He's been ok living like this and seems to be happy. He is always active and out of his shell but for the past two days he has not been as active and is usually asleep. Is that normal? Also what foods do you recommend i give him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has to do with multiple reasons: Substrate too dry, enclosure too cold, wrong light, enclosure not covered to keep cold air from your house out

The eye problem is NOT, I repeat - NOT - caused by his diet.

The biggest thing in the list I've given you is heat. You've got to cover that enclosure so you can keep a steady heat, all over the whole enclosure, of 80-85F degrees. This is very important if you want a happy healthy baby tortoise.

PrinceTheTortoise

pharr tx
It has to do with multiple reasons: Substrate too dry, enclosure too cold, wrong light, enclosure not covered to keep cold air from your house out

The biggest thing in the list I've given you is heat. You've got to cover that enclosure so you can keep a steady heat, all over the whole enclosure, of 80-85F degrees. This is very important if you want a happy healthy baby tortoise.
Is 50 watts good? The box says uvb rays. How do I keep the substrate from being too dry? Also is it normal for them to sleep a lot? Thanks

PrinceTheTortoise

pharr tx

Also one more thing, is an aquarium tank good with the screen for the top? Because he is in one of those

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is 50 watts good? The box says uvb rays. How do I keep the substrate from being too dry? Also is it normal for them to sleep a lot? Thanks
No. Most of us use at least 100 watts. It also depends upon the type of light. What type is your 50watt? The curly shaped compact fluorescent bulbs cause eye problems. Baby tortoises are prey so they HIDE a lot, but not really sleeping. It's not normal for them to sleep a lot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also one more thing, is an aquarium tank good with the screen for the top? Because he is in one of those
No. the screen allows the warm air to escape and allows the colder air from the house to get in. Also, the screen deflects the UVB rays, so the baby isn't getting the UVB he needs to make his calcium work.

drew54

Indiana
Could you post a pic of your tort and enclosure? That will help us out and we could give you better ideas on how to hang your lamps.