Is my tort a Russian Tortoise? Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisTortoiseDoe

5 Year Member
Hello, I've recently bought a tortoise from someone at a garage sale who said he was a red footed tortoise, but when I was researching on my own, he doesn't look at all like a red footed tortoise. This is my first tortoise and I am definitely not an expert at identifying tortoises, but looking into it he looks like a Russian (or horsefield?) Tortoise. I don't know how old he is either ): Here are some pics and maybe you can tell me if you think he's a Russian? And if not, help pinpoint me in which category he is probably in? Any help is super appreciated! :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1378012024.718302.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1378012068.014311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Its a Russian. She looks very alert but his/hers beak is very overgrown and will need trimming.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

DisTortoiseDoe

5 Year Member
@mikeh thank you so much! I did notice when looking at other Russian tortoises their beaks look much shorter than his by far, so I've bought him a cuttlefish bone and I've been looking into ways to help trim his beak down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Have a vet show you how to trim the beak down. It's a little beyond letting it fix its early naturally.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Congrats on your new tortoise! :) Very cute, and yes, it's a Russian tortoise.

That beak is definitely beyond what a cuttlefish bone or feeding on a slate would fix. Is there a local reptile rescue organization? I help our local reptile rescue trim people's tortoise's beaks for free at our meetings, and I know that a lot of other tortoise clubs and the like do the same. Sometimes reptile pet shops (not big ones like Petco, but ones that specialize in reptiles) also will do it for a nominal fee... like $10 or so. If neither of those options work, a vet can do it, although that will likely be more expensive.

Once you are more comfortable with your tortoise, and have watched someone do it and had them show you how... there are instructions for it on my tortoise blog. However, I wouldn't recommend a new tortoise owner to try that themselves.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
good-looking Russian Tortoise you have there. if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the little one. if needed, you can post pictures of his/her tail and we can give you a male/female decision.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Status
Not open for further replies.