Russian with other tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToriTortoiseCute

5 Year Member

I have a 5-6 month old russian, and i wanted to adopt another tort. I was hoping to get a Greek, Hermans, or a red footed tortoise. But i don't know if its a good idea to mix like a red foot and a russian. why and why not should i mix them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi ToriTortoiseCute:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You should never mix species of tortoises. If you'll use the "search" feature and look for "do not mix species" you will be able to read lots of pros and cons from many members on the subject of mixing species.

Is your name Tori?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ToriTortoiseCute said:
I have a 5-6 month old russian, and i wanted to adopt another tort. I was hoping to get a Greek, Hermans, or a red footed tortoise. But i don't know if its a good idea to mix like a red foot and a russian. why and why not should i mix them

Don't mix them. They could give each other diseases.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Don't mix them. If you pick a redfoot they live in a completely different climate than your russian.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes mixing is a bad idea. I cant think of one positive thing about mixing tortoises. But there are plenty of bad ones such as disease transferring, different environment needs, different diets, different mating rituals, etc.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Welcome! Mixing torts is never a good idea for many reasons, especially when dealing with Russians. Russians are really aggressive and also are notorious for carrying diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.