Is my tortoise bored, need enrichment?

Merlinthepug

Location (City and/or State)
Warwick, RI
My 90 lb Sulcata Mordy has a lovely house with temp control, huge electric pig blanket, sun lamps, and a De’Longhi wall heater, so he’s physically perfect. We also have a Mordy cam and temp control from the house so we can see him at all times. I love him dearly since birth. He is now 24 yrs. old. IMG_3475.jpegMy concern is that he is board/lonely/unhappy. We just got him a radio with NPR on all the time. Is there any other emotional support suggestions out there? Thanks so much! Robin

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are solitary. So he isn't lonely.
But he's intelligent. So he might be bored.
Hopefully someone can reccomend some sort of enrichment. That owns a Sulcata
I'd suggest placing food in unusual areas for him to discover and maybe placing a sturdy, plastic ball in the enclosure.
(One that he can't bite a chunk out of)
My male Redfoot sometimes blows off some steam pushing his ball around.
Also, is there a water pool large enough for him to climb into?
Some tortoises really like to take a dip. I see snow. So maybe this isn't possible now.
As for the radio, it might be doing nothing at all.
Tortoises don't hear like we do.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Have you ever let out of the house with snow on the ground? I have a large sulcata that I've raised from a hatchling that seems to enjoy the snow. We haven't gotten much snow in the past several years but we had a dusting earlier this month and he was real active in the little bit we got. We have had large amounts of snow in the past that I cleared paths with a snow shovel for him to get around. Sometimes he stayed in the pathway and sometimes he didn't. Sulcatas notice changes in their environment and will check out anything different. I've always thought that they don't like change but not sure about that but it does cause different activities for a short time. About the balls that Ed suggested yes they will move them around but if they are the right size for him to mount he may use it as a sex object. Walker my old guy got so absessed with them I removed them. I was using bowling balls both 10 pin and duck pin.

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
My 90 lb Sulcata Mordy has a lovely house with temp control, huge electric pig blanket, sun lamps, and a De’Longhi wall heater, so he’s physically perfect. We also have a Mordy cam and temp control from the house so we can see him at all times. I love him dearly since birth. He is now 24 yrs. old. View attachment 365663My concern is that he is board/lonely/unhappy. We just got him a radio with NPR on all the time. Is there any other emotional support suggestions out there? Thanks so much! Robin

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
Mine really gets happy when I visit him twice a day. I don’t have a cam as I may rely too much on it. Don’t forget to let him see you❤️. Hiding small snax is a good idea as their sense of smell is strong. I don’t feed too much during cold temps; no movin’ no foodin’ is our way. He has to come look for it💥 Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine really gets happy when I visit him twice a day. I don’t have a cam as I may rely too much on it. Don’t forget to let him see you❤️. Hiding small snax is a good idea as their sense of smell is strong. I don’t feed too much during cold temps; no movin’ no foodin’ is our way. He has to come look for it💥 Good luck!
They need to be fed just as much in winter as they get fed in summer. He should be fed every day and enough food that he can graze off and on throughout the day.

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
They need to be fed just as much in winter as they get fed in summer. He should be fed every day and enough food that he can graze off and on throughout the day.
Yes he does have a house of dry hay and plenty of water that is available always. Which ‘he has to go find’. He is well taken care of.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Perhaps he doesn't like the NPR. Try switching it up a bit. They do seem to perk up a bit if they hear music or particular songs are repeated.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
I've seen videos of people using horse toys for large tortoise enrichment.
Perhaps something like a Jolly Ball?

I am going to try one those when mine gets bigger. For now I stuck a ping pong ball in his enclosure as a baby to see if he'll move it around any, and so far he's nudged it a couple of times but that was it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Mary Knobbins is only 45 lbs now...I spend a lot of time with her and spring and summer she plays with a 15" Goodyear tire...My tort shedDSCN1199.JPG
She pushes and rams this tire, then gets stuck in it. so she walks around like this
DSCN0179.JPG
she has grown so big I had to get her a 17 inch tire...DSCN0721.JPGI have never seen her play with the new tire...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sulcatas in the Snow....Gorillas in the Mist.....Reservoir Dogs.....whatever! LOL.
Anyway, I think that tortoises cannot get "bored" as long as they have LOTS of space to move around in their enclosure, and some sight barriers, "hidden" food, etc.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sulcatas in the Snow....Gorillas in the Mist.....Reservoir Dogs.....whatever! LOL.
Anyway, I think that tortoises cannot get "bored" as long as they have LOTS of space to move around in their enclosure, and some sight barriers, "hidden" food, etc.
I agree, I used to have a Sulcata named Bob, he was extremely social and hated winter so he would pace around the shed and bang the doors and walls...lemme outta here. He would go out in the rain or snow walk around a bit the settle in and sleep for a while...he would go in and out of bad weather...he died at 100+ pounds. Mary hates being locked in but she hates crappy weather worse, she doesn't100_2918.JPG like going out all winter...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie is 24 too! Do you know Mordy's hatch date? I think Charlie was hatched in June or July of 1999. I haven't weighed him but I think he is at least 125 pounds. I don't think he is bored. He has a large yard to explore and graze in. There are a variety of plants to eat. There are plenty of sight obstacles so he has to walk around to see everything, and the terrain isn't completely flat. We don't get snow so he can come out every day. During the winter, he only comes out for a few hours. I think he sleeps more in the winter. Tortoises are more active in the summer and that is when they are more likely to get bored. Once in awhile, during the summer, Charlie will stomp around, ramming into things; I think that is the most likely time that he is bored. I don't provide any toys. Sometimes he drags the patio furniture around. He makes "love" to the larger rocks in the yard. He works hard trying to reach leaves on the trees. During the summer, he gets sprayed with the hose and has a shallow pool he can sit in. I talk to him but I don't know if it matters to him. He seems to like having his head and neck rubbed.

ryan57

PA
Charlie is 24 too! Do you know Mordy's hatch date? I think Charlie was hatched in June or July of 1999. I haven't weighed him but I think he is at least 125 pounds. I don't think he is bored. He has a large yard to explore and graze in. There are a variety of plants to eat. There are plenty of sight obstacles so he has to walk around to see everything, and the terrain isn't completely flat. We don't get snow so he can come out every day. During the winter, he only comes out for a few hours. I think he sleeps more in the winter. Tortoises are more active in the summer and that is when they are more likely to get bored. Once in awhile, during the summer, Charlie will stomp around, ramming into things; I think that is the most likely time that he is bored. I don't provide any toys. Sometimes he drags the patio furniture around. He makes "love" to the larger rocks in the yard. He works hard trying to reach leaves on the trees. During the summer, he gets sprayed with the hose and has a shallow pool he can sit in. I talk to him but I don't know if it matters to him. He seems to like having his head and neck rubbed.
"He makes "love" to the larger rocks in the yard."

When the time comes Stump will get some real shell. No quadriplegic amputee faux tortoises I.E. rocks. Maybe Figgy is a girl tortoise... that would not be good for Stump because the Figster is about 5 times as quick.

Merlinthepug

Warwick, RI
They are solitary. So he isn't lonely.
But he's intelligent. So he might be bored.
Hopefully someone can reccomend some sort of enrichment. That owns a Sulcata
I'd suggest placing food in unusual areas for him to discover and maybe placing a sturdy, plastic ball in the enclosure.
(One that he can't bite a chunk out of)
My male Redfoot sometimes blows off some steam pushing his ball around.
Also, is there a water pool large enough for him to climb into?
Some tortoises really like to take a dip. I see snow. So maybe this isn't possible now.
As for the radio, it might be doing nothing at all.
Tortoises don't hear like we do.
Thank you all for your posted suggestions. I really appreciate it. I didn’t think of toys, nor have I heard of that idea. He has a built in cement pool with a fountain, but only 9 months out of the year. However, he refuses to go near it! We even floated strawberries, which he absolutely loves, but walks away. Since birth, I have only seen him drink maybe 5 times. I can’t lift him anymore since he is nearly 100 lbs. He does has a big shallow water dish, but in all these years, he refuses to drink! Before we had the Camp Kenan style pond built, we use to put him in a huge dog pool with floppy sides for soaking, but he’d ram the sides down and bulldoze his way out of it! He’s sort of a punk like that! We also let him out during the winter when it’s 40 degrees or more. He’ll go back in the house 30 or so min. later. He didn’t care for the snow and actually slowed down then stopped. I got scared and lured him back in with tomatoes. Here in RI, thanks to climate change, he’s out a lot lately. Barely any snow last or this year. We are however expecting a whopper tomorrow 5-12” of snow, but it usually melts in days. I’m definitely getting the toys/balls and change the radio to some music, and hide carrot slices/snacks around his house. I wish he could live in the house during the winter, but he’d doze everything down. He knocks over just about everything in his path. It’s just so much better in spring, summer, and fall when he’s out all day “mowing” the grass and following me everywhere. During cold months Mordy has a constant supply of fresh Timothy hay and some other dried grasses my partner adds to it. Once a week we also give him a couple apples, and a variety of leafy veg to mix it up. We’re lucky. Our vet is the author of the National Geographic Encyclopedia of animals and loves Mordy to bits. She had us modify his diet as mentioned b/c he was growing to fast and had to have his beak trimmed! He just let her do it without a fuss. Again, Thank you all so very much.
Robin, Dana, and of course Mordy.

Merlinthepug

Warwick, RI
Mordy was born Jan of 2000, and he gets weighed every year at the vet, so we know he’s now right at 98-100lbs. He is totally active when outside daily 9 mos. out of the year, but I don’t want to risk him getting sick when it’s freezing. That’s wicked funny about the rocks! Thanks for your reply!
Robin