Is my tortoise not growing?

noillatsyrc

Location (City and/or State)
San Pedro
Hello all,
Maybe it’s because I see my baby sulcata every day and can’t tell his growth, but I feel like he’s not growing. His day temperature ranges from 75-90, and his night temperature ranges from 70-85. I spray his enclosure and the plants within in a good amount every day for humidity and I soak him at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes. He gets time outside and I feed him everyday (dandelion greens, grass, kale, mustard greens, chard greens, squash, bell pepper, bok choy, as well as the Mazuri Tortoise diet, etc). He’s a pretty active little tort and likes to do laps around his enclosure. But I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong?? He has a cool area as well as a warm area and his bedding is a mixture of repti bark and orchid bark. Any suggestions or recommendations on what I should fix on what I’m doing or anything I can fix in my enclosure? I’m not sure of his exact age, but he’s currently at about 4 inches.

Attachments

• 7A11F69D-61D6-426E-823D-A848F0AEA486.jpeg
    7A11F69D-61D6-426E-823D-A848F0AEA486.jpeg
    860.5 KB · Views: 29
  • C7BA3C1A-E03A-4520-9B48-67E3320D839C.jpeg
    C7BA3C1A-E03A-4520-9B48-67E3320D839C.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 29

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you read the caresheet to check the temp range for a baby sully?

The dial type thermometer and hygrometer you have aren't very reliable and placed too high.
Most of use a digital t/h with a probe to measure temps at tort level. A temp gun is also great for spot checking the different areas around the enclosure.

Maybe weigh him to check on growth - not too often .I weigh once a month after he's had a poop.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I dont know if the tort is growing I dont think you said how old it is or what it weighs, looks dry and lots of pyramidding for its age. Your temps are too low, should never be below 80, It is time for a bigger enclosure as well.

Please read this care sheet and really think about how you can provide the right kind of care entailed within it.

The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pick a day of the week, any day, then make a tracing of him on a clean sheet of paper. Then on that same day a month from now set him on the first tracing ang make a new tracing over the old one. Do this every month and you'll see how much he grows.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just remember, the minimum ambient temperature both day and night should be 80F. I see you mentioning 75 and 70 at night. Thats just too cold.

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
Hi thank you for your comment, I made a mistake in my post, my temperatures actually do range around 80-95!