is organic gardening soil safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I'm setting up Carl's enclosure outside, and I picked up some "organic gardening soil" at the local hardware store.

It says that it has "natural fertilizers" made of organic plant matter in it and "no synthetic chemicals". Obviously, no little white pellets in sight.

Is this tortoise safe?

I assume so, but I just want to be positive.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Thats what I used, shouldn't be a problem, its like really fertile topsoil.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I found toads nesting in a half-used bag of organic potting soil i had left out in our back yard. I had bought it from either Lowe's or Home Depot. Since frogs and toads absorb moisture and chemicals directly through their skin, I think they are considered pretty sensitive indicators of chemical contamination. I figure if the momma toad was happy to raise her babies in the stuff, it must be OK. BTW, baby are really quite cute! :)

That should read "baby toadlets are really quite cute!"

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Moozilion said:
I found toads nesting in a half-used bag of organic potting soil i had left out in our back yard. I had bought it from either Lowe's or Home Depot. Since frogs and toads absorb moisture and chemicals directly through their skin, I think they are considered pretty sensitive indicators of chemical contamination. I figure if the momma toad was happy to raise her babies in the stuff, it must be OK. BTW, baby are really quite cute! :)

That should read "baby toadlets are really quite cute!"

Thats awesome!!! But for my reply to the OP thats what I am using for my torts outside and I dont have anything bad to say about it. I would never use it inside though based on the smell.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I use it inside, too. The smell dissipates in about 12 hours indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.