Is over feeding a thing?

Tony the Tort42

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The title explains it all. My tortoise eats everything i give him, so i give him A LOT. Is it possible to overfeed them, or do they self limit their food intake. Given that they are a grazing animal, I dont see how they could survive without knowing how much food to eat.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Seems like they are very lucky and healthy, and I guess that as long as they are active and have enough space to move around and the right conditions, there is no such thing as overfeeding them the right stuff! I would give them as much as they will eat of a varied diet.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Good to know. I have a sulcata, doesnt look like he was fed mainly grass by the breeders as he eats grass, but prefers romain, and grape leaves so ive been feeding him “salad style”

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good to know. I have a sulcata, doesnt look like he was fed mainly grass by the breeders as he eats grass, but prefers romain, and grape leaves.
Check out the sulcata diet sheets on this site. I have to point out that when I said you can't overfeed, I meant you can't overfeed a varied diet of the right items. You CAN overfeed by feeding one or two of the same things day in day out, which would mean that they are not getting enough variety.