Is the lip on my water dish too high?

Buddybenj

My enclosure closes and locks, but it still has a wire opening on the top. So I'm not sure what you would call that. It's the Zoo Med tortoise house if you want to look it up and look at it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
No way can you keep humidity up with that enclosure, I had one early on and had to modify it to a closed chamber. That opening with the screen is worthless to keep the humidity up.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Did you put any kind of liner down in the bottom of it before you put the substrate in?

Buddybenj

How does the tortoise get air if it's sealed? How do you get UV, heat, and light in the enclosure? Can you look in to see your tortoise without opening the lid? My humidity is usually between 50-70 percent (usually its around 55 but it goes back up once I spray it with water). I think the issue I have is that the heating light is drying the substrate and moss out.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How does the tortoise get air if it's sealed? How do you get UV, heat, and light in the enclosure? Can you look in to see your tortoise without opening the lid? My humidity is usually between 50-70 percent (usually its around 55 but it goes back up once I spray it with water). I think the issue I have is that the heating light is drying the substrate and moss out.

All my lights, Che were inside the enclosure. Air got inside with no issues, and I could see inside the plexiglass. My first leopard and Sulcata both were housed in here when they were young. (Not at the same time) my Leo is 1-1/2 and weights 1600 grams and my Sully is 2 and 3700 grams. Both smooth raised in the zoo med I modified. Check out closed chambers on the enclosure section.

If your tort is a Russian I would suggest checking out the needs to raise a Russian and the humidity needed for the age of the tort.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471922930.175043.jpg