Is There Any Wood That's Bad?

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I'm building a new enclosure and I've never built one before. Is there any wood that isn't safe for Russian tortoises?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I'm building a new enclosure and I've never built one before. Is there any wood that isn't safe for Russian tortoises?
You have to watch the ground contact treated wood as it will weep the chemicals it was soaked in. Just plain plywood that you seal or I would recommend the PVC sheets since they won't rot

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
You're very unlikely to use it, but Walnut is possibly bad. It's shavings are known to be toxic to horses (but not to other livestock). No knowing what prolonged exposure could do to torts.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
No pressure treated wood (the kind that looks artificial green)
Just plain wood that doesn't seem oily or has an extra strong smell, specifically what kind, I'm not sure
As for sealing the wood, I have little info on this. I did not seal mine but it started to rot quickly and is now being used for scrap wood

Lucy Brown

florida
I agree some woods could produce toxic fumes. I would avoid cedar or treated wood ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No cedar and no pressure treated lumber indoors. Pressure treated lumber is fine to use outdoors in large enclosures.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
You know, I might be a little too late, but you could build your habitat out of non- wood materials. There are a few articles on tortoise forum about this in Tortoise Enclosures