Is this a "good deal?"

hollymamma

5 Year Member
I am thinking of buying this redfoot as a rehome, but want to make sure she looks okay to those who have a redfoot. They are not asking too much...so, that's not an issue. The person said they haven't had the tort for very long, but are moving into an apartment and won't have a proper place for her. She is about 7 inches long, and already has a bit of pyramiding. I'd love to snatch her up. Thanks for any opinions!

upload_2018-7-31_15-54-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-31_15-52-43.png
    upload_2018-7-31_15-52-43.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 42

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
At that size she won't pyramid anymore. What's done is done. Also might not be a girl, probably too young to tell. My RF is about that same size. On the good side you won't have to worry about a closed chamber.

hollymamma

5 Year Member
Thanks, Toddrickfl1. About how old would a 7" RF be? The owner has no idea since they got her/him not too long ago

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Watch and see that the animal walks normally, is heavy, with clear eyes and mouth closed correctly.
No noises while breathing and that the limbs are strong as it pushes and wiggles when picked up.
Also, if there is poop, look at it. Is it strange at all?
Look at the shell and the toes for damage.
The tortoise is between 3 and 6 years old. Depending on how and where he grew up.
Sub adult prices are all over the place. Here that would be a $150 to $250 animal. Depending on the health.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is interesting, I did not know that pyramiding stopped at 7" length. Really?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's what I've been told with Redfoots. I stopped using the closed chamber at about 5" and mines still growing smooth.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That's what I've been told with Redfoots. I stopped using the closed chamber at about 5" and mines still growing smooth.
I never heard that before. I would still think that they are still growing until they reach about 12 - 14 inches and that they would still continue to pyramid without the required humidity level.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They don't stop pyramiding at a certain size or age. It is due to a combanation of things that can cause it, you can't reverse it but you can stop it. Your tortoise has slight pyramiding but at 7inches still has 5 or more inches to grow. Start with a good diet, and right set up and the pyramiding can look less when the tortoise is 10-11 inches. If you don't correct was caused the pyramiding than a tortoise can pyramid all the way up til it stops growing.

Kyle

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Babies grow more rapidly and I think that's why pyramids are so obvious in young animals. And one reason why correct diet and humidity are so much more important with babies.
But it can happen at any age. Right up until the animal has fully grown.
Maybe that's how someone decided on the 7 year thing. But at 7 years, a Redfoof is still growing. So it's wrong.