is this a good home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie

5 Year Member
Hello,
I am new to tortoises and the tortoise world. I have been considering a tortoise for about two years or so. I worked at a zoo with two russians that were so charming they kind of sold me on the species. I had done some research and was originally intending on adopting a russian. I was going to adopt rather than purchase because there seem to be more of them looking for homes after a few years.

Well, a family friend has a sulcata they are looking to re-home. It actually sounds like a sort of non-tortoise friendly home. The enclosure is too small for the animal and the UV lamp burned out about a month ago and has not been replaced. The tortoise is being fed a diet of lettuce and peas. This tortoise is also having weakness in its hind legs. I think its a UV issue but the owner thinks its lack of exercise. I have been offered this animal. I have not yet met the tortoise and when asked how long it was I was given a measurement of around 10-12 inches and told it weights about as much as a cinder block. Its around 11 years old. It does have some mild to moderating tenting or pyramiding.

I am currently a student who goes home on weekends. I will graduate in a year. So my plan for the winter was to have the tortoise either in my apartment or living in a kiddie pool in the sun room. In the spring and summer, I planned to have the tortoise live outside in an old abandon dog kennel that will be retrofitted for the tortoise. If I adopt this tortoise I will of course take it to the vet in the first few weeks and try to have it on a hay diet. After graduation, I anticipate living in an apartment for the first few months to years post graduation. The tortoise would come along. The plan for that would be an indoor enclosure and then during summer a temporary outdoor enclosure on either a ground floor of an apartment or balcony. I do eventually plan on having my own home but realistically it might take a few years. Once I own my own home it will be ideal.

I have a few questions. The first is does this sound like an okay home for this tortoise? I understand that most sulcata's do most of their growing during the first ten years of life in captivity due to in theory better nutrition. So, will this tortoise experience a massive growth spurt if put on a balanced diet? Do people have trouble finding apartments that are tortoise friendly? What do you recommend for substrate? I have heard that people suggest hay (which would be most convenient for me) but I also thought about peat moss, reptile sand, reptile sand/coconut fiber mixture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum, Rookie!

If the tortoise is dragging his back legs, YOU are partially correct. It is a UVB issue, but mainly a calcium/UVB/vitamin d3 issue. This tortoise needs calcium and real sunshine. At the size it is, it might be a good idea to have a vet determine the best method of infusing this tortoise with calcium/vitamin d3, because he needs it quickly before any more damage is done.

My first thought is that this tortoise should be given to someone who can make sure it can live outside. Even in cold weather, a sulcata can go outside and get exposure to the sun's UV rays even on cloudy days. Then when he gets cold, he goes back inside his heated house to warm up. I think that if you can't provide outdoor living, you might re-think the idea of taking him in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) I agree with emysemys. This tort is already in trouble and needs some immediate attention, good old sunshine and calcium, proper diet. You idea would be better then where it's at, but still not really ideal, especially for a tortoise that already lots of sunshine and room to roam. I would look into a sulcata rescue and see if they can find a home for it. Check out this thread and see if they can help you http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-57046.html#axzz2A48SyvgD
Good luck in whatever you do. We will be here if you need help

rookie

5 Year Member
I agree its not ideal. So far the plan is to take it in because something is better than nothing. I did contact a local rescue and I am waiting to hear back. From what I understand the current owner has contacted to local "zoos" (local road side messes in my book) and neither one has gotten back to her.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on the zoo, there are so many sulcatas out there that many zoos are not interested in them. I would take it in while looking for a more ideal home. Your set up sounds better than what it has but not really what it needs. I am sorry that these family friends are not doing more for this animal that they took the responsibility to be in charge of. It sounds like you would have a much better understanding of what it means to be responsible for an animal that depends solely on the person who takes on their care. I am impressed with your wanting to help out this sulcata but it does sound like a Russian would be more ideal for your circumstances. If you can find a more ideal home for this sulcata I would take it in the interim. That is my opinion and you should do what you feel is best for you. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted as to what you are going to do.:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Sorry that you have this problem with your tort. Like me, it wasn't until something was wrong with my sulcata that I looked for information on the internet and found this forum. Boy, I wished I had checked this forum before it got too bad. But, at least you are now receiving the right information. Hope all goes well with your precious one.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Once he's on the right track and being cared for right, he'll grow much too quickly to be satisfied with apartment living for as long as you plan to be there. If you can take him in just temporarily, though, it sounds like that would be immensely better than where he is now!

Regarding your substrate question, IMO, the best for him would be some sort of dirt, coconut coir, and/or cypress mulch mix. NEVER use sand. (Okay--arguably--sand isn't bad in small amounts if mixed in with dirt/coir, but NEVER use sand alone. And never use the calcium/repti-sand products. Washed play sand from the home improvement store is actually safer.)

Hay as substrate isn't as great as some people make it out to be; personally, I wouldn't bother with it at all. Some sort of dirt mix (make sure there's no chemicals) or cypress mulch would be ideal. Make sure to read as much as you possibly can on this forum before you get started on setting up the enclosure, to make sure you get it all right the first time. :)

rookie

5 Year Member
can I pick up the cypress mulch at a garden store (provided its not dyed) or should I purchase the stuff from the local commercial pet store? I just ask because a bag of cypress from the garden store is sold by the bale and it would fill/cover the bottom of the kiddy pool faster than the small bag from the pet store.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
It should be fine to get it at the garden store. I got mine at Home Depot, the bag was huge. It cost like, $4.00 and I just finished the bag, I got it back in July and I have changed out the enclosure three times. I use mine as a layer and then put coco coir on the top. I am going to use all coco coir with my next change, though.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Kudos for you to ask the right questions.. It's hard to think how big that guy can get and how much damage they can do. (Look up Bob's thread) But still you desearve a huge welcome for asking!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yep, cypress from the garden store is fine. Just make sure it's 100% cypress, and not a blend (contains other types of wood), and that it doesn't have any nasty additives (dyes, chemicals).

Status
Not open for further replies.