Need a temporary home for my sulcata NY or very close

Vchyman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hey everyone,

Apartment life has finally proven to be too much for us after so many years and we are looking to buy a house with a backyard for my sulcata. In the meantime, we need to sell this apartment and find a house. I would like him to spend time in a safe home while we market the apartment because he takes up an entire room and, well, you all know how messy/destructive sulcatas are. We will never be able to sell with traces of him here. I am very worried about him going to an unsafe place and I think he'd need about 6 months there... Maybe a year depending on how long this takes during covid (?). He's about a foot long, 12 years old and had surgery as a baby so his jaw is deformed and he is a little "slow". Does anyone know of any safe places that can temporarily house someone's large tortoise there and do daily or weekly updates so I can be sure he's okay until we take him back? I would of course pay for all his needs the entire time, etc.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Do pictures help if the person wouldn't be keeping him?

Yes. Who knows what condition the tortoise may be in. What type of assurances and or liabilities would be in place in this type of deal. You're essentially paying not only for a sitter but also for the room and food of the tortoise. Not to mention, frequent updates.

I believe it's fair to say that both parties should ask and receive all the information they need before agreeing to any decisions.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
Thanks for explaining. That does make complete sense to me as I have boarded dogs in the past so I understand the liability issue. I will gather some pics of him. I appreciate the detailed reply.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Your sully must be of the best behavior if hadn’t wrecked your apartment! ? The one big issue will be if the other person has torts already make sure the maintain completely separate and quarantined enclosures. Good luck

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
Your sully must be of the best behavior if hadn’t wrecked your apartment! ? The one big issue will be if the other person has torts already make sure the maintain completely separate and quarantined enclosures. Good luck

LOL he's actually pretty well behaved! We've moved 4 times with him and it only took a quick paint job to fix his mess around the baseboard. He bangs the corner of one wall a bit and scrapes some paint but I've been able to keep him on a very large pond liner so I've minimized floor damage mostly. He loves to push my hydraulic grooming table around the room all day. That's how he got his indents. He's obsessed with it??‍♀️ thank you!