my baby's temporary nursery

Jewels03

so this is my baby's temporary enclosure while we build him something else. We just got him yesterday, my stepson brought him home as a surprise from a reptile expo and despite my best efforts the seller wouldn't take him back after I tried explaining to them that we weren't set up for a tortoise such as him and they shouldn't be selling any animal, let alone a baby tortoise that can live 100+ years to a 15 year old child without parental consent.

So now he's a member of our family and we are determined to do the best we can for him. Still haven't come up with a name for him yet though...

Attachments

• 20150628_141409.jpg
    20150628_141409.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20150628_141409.jpg
    20150628_141409.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 44
  • 20150628_141419.jpg
    20150628_141419.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 45
  • 20150628_141433.jpg
    20150628_141433.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 40

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Read the care guide threads in the Sulcata section. The bowls you have are dangerous. Small tortoises flip on the steep sides. Terra cotta plant saucers are perfect. They are sloped and allow for good traction. Place plexiglass or build a tent to go over this enclosure. It is important that you keep the humidity up, 80%, and never let the temp at tortoise level go below 80 F. Congrats and best of luck.

Jewels03

Yes he is getting new bowls as we speak this is temporary my stepson got him without permission and the breeder refused to take him back. I am doing the best I can we are building his enclosure as fast as we can but we just got him yesterday. I have a lid for it that the lighting sits on bit for picture purposes I took the lid off.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
He's tiny! So cute!

Unfortunately, that attitude is what got me hooked on torts as well.

Great start... Just read the care sheets and he'll be fine. :)

Jewels03

I am rushing to get him set up as safely and quickly as possible, like I said he was a surprise, which is the wrong way to get ANY pet. My stepson got him from the same breeders who tried to tell him a nile monitor is a great first time reptile and will only grow as large as it's enclosure! IMO that is someone that you run FAR FAR away from. I guess I should just be thankful it's not the nile monitor he brought home...or should I, lol.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
.....ah! KIDS! We have a rescued ferret that one of my kids bought three years ago because they could not stand to see it starving in a parakeet cage. No permission, just came home with the little guy and I was like.... *O*&#$(*&#(*(&##!!!!!! At least they don't live for 100+ years and luckily he is the coolest little ferret on the planet. ;)

If you click this link the first three articles will be your lifeline. Read them and they will answer most of your questions. If you need further help, just holler!!

Precious baby, btw and bravo on you for making sure you are doing this RIGHT. There is a bunch of wrong info on the web and this forum is a great place!

Welcome!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/sulcata-tortoises.88/

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
so this is my baby's temporary enclosure while we build him something else. We just got him yesterday, my stepson brought him home as a surprise from a reptile expo and despite my best efforts the seller wouldn't take him back after I tried explaining to them that we weren't set up for a tortoise such as him and they shouldn't be selling any animal, let alone a baby tortoise that can live 100+ years to a 15 year old child without parental consent.

So now he's a member of our family and we are determined to do the best we can for him. Still haven't come up with a name for him yet though...
That's almost exactly how I ended up here, differences were my son and his GF (they bought him jointly) were 17 & 18, and I didn't try to give Odin back because the second I saw that face I was hooked! (they knew I would be, it was a trap!) A year later and we are still learning and adapting, but Odin is well and I just think he is the coolest critter ever!
Good luck, and enjoy!