Is this giant Pardalis?

JWiediyanto

I bought this from a friend of mine. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431094002.232461.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431094039.312377.jpg

He told me that this is a giant Pardalis so I bought it so yesterday I asked my other friend if this is giant Pardalis or not and they say not. So I want to ask you guys if this is giant Pardalis or not, because if not I will ask my money back and give the tortoise to them..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First you will have to define what "Giant" Pardalis means to you. These are not pure South Africans, if that is what you are asking.

You are in another country aren't you? Those could be Ethiopian leopards. None of us even know what a baby Ethiopian leopard looks like since we can't get them here in the U.S., and those certainly reach "giant" proportions.

Instead of using the title "Giant", can your friend tell you what part of Africa the adults are from. There are bigger varieties of leopard from South Africa and Ethiopia, but most of the others are "normal" size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
By the giant, I mean the Somalia Pardalis one

I've never heard anyone refer to Somalian leopards. There has been much discussion about Ethiopian leopards, so it is possible that the territory of the larger type crosses into Somalia.

Can this person show you the parents of those babies?

tanaberrie

10 Year Member!
I've seen photos at a presentation regarding the northern most leo's, those images do not appear to be similar to the animals in the photos I saw.

I have a friend in that is doing research for his PhD in Ethiopia and Somalia. He just emailed me pics of 3 Leopard torts (2 adults and a baby) he found. I'm pretty sure he was still in Somalia when he found them. I'm waiting for a reply back as to where he found them and if I can share his photos. One of the large adults was the size of a sulcata.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have a friend in that is doing research for his PhD in Ethiopia and Somalia. He just emailed me pics of 3 Leopard torts (2 adults and a baby) he found. I'm pretty sure he was still in Somalia when he found them. I'm waiting for a reply back as to where he found them and if I can share his photos. One of the large adults was the size of a sulcata.
What is the nature of your friends study? I look forward to seeing the images if all gets okay-ed

deutsch

5 Year Member
I thought Your leopards are giant. This is My parents and babies p.pardalis from Uganda.

P_20150611_183009.jpg P_20150529_174706_LL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I thought Your leopards are giant. This is My parents and babies p.pardalis from Uganda.
They are good looking animals. My guess for length, assuming concrete building blocks are somewhat the same where the image was taken, to US size standards the largest one is about 14 to 16 inches long? That would be about the size of larger central African animals as the story goes. They look great.

JBurer

Sorry for the off topic question - but what are the hatchlings eating there in that last picture?