Is this her ear?

Anna!

5 Year Member
I feel silly asking this, but is the little circle on her head an ear? I don't actually know what a tortoise ear looks like! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427502043.730796.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427502043.730796.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello! That looks like a great mix of food you have there for your tortoise :)

Yes that is your tortoises ear. They don't have ears like ours, they are internal and covered with skin.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Thanks! I thought it was her ear, but I've never seen one before and wanted to make sure!

She is eating a mix of radicchio, escarole, romain, endive, grass I grow for her, Grassland tort food, and some mazuri all mixed together. I have to combine a lot of flavors to hide the calcium taste. She doesn't usually get such a big mix like this but she is so picky about eating her calcium that every other day she gets one very fancy meal!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Is the calcium a powdered calcium? You should only add a little bit and they should not be able to taste it. You don't want to offer too much all the time, either. A lot of the food we buy at grocery stores are jam packed with vitamins and such that they would never have so much of in the wild.

Have you tried cuttle bones?

Anna!

5 Year Member
I think she probably eats better than I do! I definitely spend more time and money finding good stuff for her than I do for myself!

The calcium is powdered and I don't use much at all, but she refuses to touch her food if even the tiniest little speck is on it, unless I hide it well. For a while I could use a little grated carrot as a special treat to hide the calcium but then she wised up and stopped eating it.

She has a cuttle bone but I've never seen her chew on it, and it hasn't gotten any smaller in the two months that it has been in her little house.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise definitely eats better than I do, too :)

I had a weird cactus flavored cuttle bone in my tortoises enclosure for a while, she never touched it. Put in a normal one, like the kind you use for birds, she's all over it. Some tortoises like it, some don't. Sound like you've got it covered!