Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 161

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
It's a little hard to see to know for sure, and we'd need more information as too temps, humidity, that kind of thing. One thing I would suggest is to get a shallower water bowl, Depending how big or small your baby is, it might have trouble getting in and out, those kinds of bowls are a little steep. Main thing with red foots & Cherry heads is to have warm and humid :) I see that you also have plants and a log hide, which is good because babies love and need places to hide. Pardon me if I am wrong, but it looks like you are using either coconut fiber or some sort of soil as substrate, which coco quir works quite well. I would make another suggestion to add some sphagnum moss in his log hide or somewhere in the enclosure. It isn't necessary but when you dampen it down it helps with humidity, gives them something to burrow in, and doesn't mold. Over all looks pretty good! hope someone else comes along to help.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Looks great! I put some long fiber moss in the hide. I wet it with warm water and squeeze it out and fluff it up. When mine were little they had to dig their way into it. I don't use any lights at night. I have a long tube UVB 5.0, with a heat emitter on one side over the hide. Just how I do it....not written in stone. I use the same set up now that they are big, just on a bigger scale.

Elcon

5 Year Member
EchoTheLeoTort said:
It's a little hard to see to know for sure, and we'd need more information as too temps, humidity, that kind of thing. One thing I would suggest is to get a shallower water bowl, Depending how big or small your baby is, it might have trouble getting in and out, those kinds of bowls are a little steep. Main thing with red foots & Cherry heads is to have warm and humid :) I see that you also have plants and a log hide, which is good because babies love and need places to hide. Pardon me if I am wrong, but it looks like you are using either coconut fiber or some sort of soil as substrate, which coco quir works quite well. I would make another suggestion to add some sphagnum moss in his log hide or somewhere in the enclosure. It isn't necessary but when you dampen it down it helps with humidity, gives them something to burrow in, and doesn't mold. Over all looks pretty good! hope someone else comes along to help.

Temp is 80-90 at day and 70-80 at night humitidy is around 50-70%

erica anne

5 Year Member
Also, Tom said that you shouldn't use red heat lamps because they're not natural. I use CHE heat lamp. The cheapest place I have seen so far is on amazon. But that's a very pretty enclosure!!!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It should be a little bigger to have a cool/dry and a hot/humid side. For now it is fine. Try getting some spagnum moss in there to increase humidits but from the sounds of itit is at a good humidity level and heat level now. The dimentions would help

Elcon

5 Year Member
Here are some better pics
Does this look good for two baby cherry heads

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Thats looking really good Elcon. I'm happy you changed water dishes. My only other suggestion is to try and get humidity just a little higher. Nice work, you're cherryhead will love it!

Elcon

5 Year Member
EchoTheLeoTort said:
Thats looking really good Elcon. I'm happy you changed water dishes. My only other suggestion is to try and get humidity just a little higher. Nice work, you're cherryhead will love it!

I'm worried about to much water in the cage and shell rot
The ground is pretty moist should I have the sprayer spray more often

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
There is steam on the inside glass. I don't think the humidity needs to be any higher??

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Elcon said:
EchoTheLeoTort said:

I'm worried about to much water in the cage and shell rot
The ground is pretty moist should I have the sprayer spray more often

Cherry head's are prone to shell rot when laying in wet substrate. This happened to me, and then I started to keep the substrate dry and only keep the hide warm and moist. I put plenty of plants in the vivarium to hold the humidity in and only sprayed the plants and the tort when she came out to eat. I started using Terry K's care sheet when I got mine at 1 one month old and now she is 6 years and smooth and healthy. The next one I got I used the same care sheet and he is just as smooth and healthy. Only saying what I did, not what you should do.
This is Pio when whe was 1 month old:

and here she is 6 years later.

If I ever got another one I would use the same care sheet again. The only thing I did different was add plenty of plants to their enclosure.
Like I said nothing is written in stone, and it is just what worked for me.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
lisa127 said:
There is steam on the inside glass. I don't think the humidity needs to be any higher??
Condensation does not necessarily mean high humidity. They need constant 70%+ humidity, ideally 85-90%. The encosure looks decent

Status
Not open for further replies.