is this natural ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Today my tort came out of his hide slept a bit under the light, went to eat walked for a few minutes and then under his light sleeping for most the day.. soaked him he pooped a lot lol ate some.more around 1 was up til 2 and again sleeping now I am wondering if its due to the heat? Its +28 out UV 5 and humidity is 40% he is.inside as I feel its to hot in the sun at this time of day

And.only 15% cloud.coverage which only.came.in within the hour.. Is this normal for a tort to sleep like this on really warm days?

Other then sleep he ate his am food most.of.it his eyes are clear nose is.clear so I see.no signs.of.anything.else

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most torts will take cover in the wild during the hottest part of the day. My tort does the same thing. However mine is only 1, how old is yours. Young ones sleep alot. That said, if it is warm enough out side for him to be out, that is where you should have him, for as long as possible or at least an hour. The outdoors is the best for them. Make sure he as a hide or two, too get out of the sun and also make sure he has access to water. I have to still wait for warm, hot days. We keep getting one, then down to cold again.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Today my tort came out of his hide slept a bit under the light, went to eat walked for a few minutes and then under his light sleeping for most the day.. soaked him he pooped a lot lol ate some.more around 1 was up til 2 and again sleeping now I am wondering if its due to the heat? Its +28 out UV 5 and humidity is 40% he is.inside as I feel its to hot in the sun at this time of day

And.only 15% cloud.coverage which only.came.in within the hour.. Is this normal for a tort to sleep like this on really warm days?

Other then sleep he ate his am food most.of.it his eyes are clear nose is.clear so I see.no signs.of.anything.else

Henry, hetty and Fred do this all the time!! :) hetty will wake up and come out and sit there for about an hour or so in the morning sun at about 10ish then start to head in about 11 when the sun kicks in then that's it for her untill about 4pm, Henry only comes out for about 20mins at about 11 then does the same till 4 when he then comes out for at least 2hours to relax, he's an evening torts lol and Fred just does pretty much what he likes lol theres no set schedule with him!!! Ha

sportychick

5 Year Member
My tort is between 1-2 still young..
I'm glad he's not the only tort that sleeps a lot :)
He didn't sleep in his hide until 6pm he was sleeping out under the basking spot most of the day :)
This.morning he was out before u woke up so once I seen him I fed him
He ate a bit and miss going to nap... so we will see

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I dont have any experiance at all with Torts at that age.... WalkingRock was 5 when we met and Eros and Gaia are both less than a year old. WalkingRock is up at Dawn and in bed at Sunset with a few naps in between. The 2 little ones? I always seem to wake them from a nap when I get home but when they are awake, they are VERY active!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Young torts do sleep a lot. My two year old sulcata sleeps a lot, but not under a light or in the sun. If your tort is sleeping most of the day under a light he may be too cold. The basking spot might not be warm enough. When mine was inside under a light he would bask until warm and then move to a cooler part of his enclosure, eat, nap, walk, and then return to the basking spot (which was about 105F). Now that he lives outside he behaves very much the same. Comes out of his house to bask in the sun, forages for food, drink, explores his pen, rest under a bush, pees, poops, returns to his house for a nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.