Is this normal (baby's plastron)

Elisa

Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, MO
Could someone please tell me if this looks normal for a baby sulcata? I've probably read too many posts on hatchling failure syndrome and am making myself paranoid, but I can't find any pics of other torts with similar plastrons.

(Sorry if the pic is kinda blurry, was trying to hurry and get him back in the soak)

Attachments

• IMG_4497.JPG
    IMG_4497.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 40

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Could someone please tell me if this looks normal for a baby sulcata? I've probably read too many posts on hatchling failure syndrome and am making myself paranoid, but I can't find any pics of other torts with similar plastrons.

(Sorry if the pic is kinda blurry, was trying to hurry and get him back in the soak)
NO need to hurry to get it back into the soak. Get the tortoise used to your handling and weighing. AND... get a good picture of top and bottom! Then post those for us to see.

From what I do see, your tortoise looks quite good. I'd like to see the carapace, but the plastron looks quite good. Scrub it with a soft brush/toothbrush and take another picture. I do like the way the "umbilical" yolk sac scar has healed. That makes me think there is a good chance it did not have too dry, too early a start.

Elisa

Springfield, MO
Thank you for the reassurance. I don't have any more pics of his plastron right now, but will get some when I get home from work today.

Here is a top view.

I'm pretty sure he was soaked daily, but could be wrong. (I will post more details later as needed)

Attachments

• IMG_4498.JPG
    IMG_4498.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see anything out of the ordinary either. Is their something that is concerning you that we should take a closer look at?

Elisa

Springfield, MO
There's not really anything in particular. I "rescued" the tort a few days after my son got him because he had not found this site and was therefore following the wrong advice (open chamber, not enough humidity, coil uvb bulb, etc).

I've tried to follow all of tips on the posts that you guys usually link for new owners, but since I've never even seen a baby tort and wasn't there when my son bought him, I don't know what's "normal" and worry that he is sleeping too much and not eating enough.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @Elisa .

Your tort looks healthy. Don't worry.

And he/she's gorgeous! God bless.