Is this normal behaviour?

Nibs

Hello all,

As my two little Sulcatas are growing up, they are both starting to show some specific behaviours - and I just wanted to check with everyone who knows a lot more than me whether this is normal or if there is something I need to change as they may be stressed/bored.

I have two torts and as the weather is warming up, they are spending more time outside now in separate grassy enclosures that are spacious, and have a humid hide and water etc. Plants are on their way with the spring hopefully.

Anyway, after a quick run around their territory, Myrtle starts to wander up and down the same bit of the barrier over and over again, right up close so that her shell is touching the side and Morris will find the corner and then just walk at it constantly like he is trying to bulldoze it down. They started this last summer, and I thought it might be because the enclosure I was keeping them in together was too small, but having given them their own enclosures which are double the size, they are doing the same.

Is this just standard behaviour or do I need to make some adjustments for them?

Last edited:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
They do like to pace their perimeter. My 6 year old will spend hours each day walking back and forth along one wall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Show us pics of the enclosures. Sounds like they might need more cover, hiding places and places to explore.

Nibs

Show us pics of the enclosures. Sounds like they might need more cover, hiding places and places to explore.

I'll take some pics asap and upload. Sounds a very good suggestion, I'm sure I can improve on all those areas.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie has a large yard and often patrols the fence at the edge, like Myrtle. I think it is normal behavior. I would be concerned at what Morris is doing. Your torts can't see each other, can they? Or out of their enclosure?

Nibs

Charlie has a large yard and often patrols the fence at the edge, like Myrtle. I think it is normal behavior. I would be concerned at what Morris is doing. Your torts can't see each other, can they? Or out of their enclosure?

Hi

No, they can't see each other - though the enclosures do border each other as I essentially cut the garden in half, so perhaps can hear each other. Could that be impacting? Neither of them seem that fussed by the other's company though, they are siblings and I had been raising them together for the first two years until I joined this forum and learned there was a better way to do things - but generally they just ignore each other and do their own thing when they previously were together.

They can't see out of the enclosure in terms of the sides, just up.

Mary <3

How about what they can hear? We have been noticing that when our 4 yr old Brutus hears my husband's voice his behavior changes. He will come walking from around corners. If there is a wall between my husband and him he'll quickly pace it or ram it with his head and shoulders. Either he likes my husband or he wants to attack him. But I think it's that he likes him because my husband works from home and feeds Brutus daily and he talks to him all the time like they are best friends. Anyway just a thought about what they can hear.

Nibs

How about what they can hear? We have been noticing that when our 4 yr old Brutus hears my husband's voice his behavior changes. He will come walking from around corners. If there is a wall between my husband and him he'll quickly pace it or ram it with his head and shoulders. Either he likes my husband or he wants to attack him. But I think it's that he likes him because my husband works from home and feeds Brutus daily and he talks to him all the time like they are best friends. Anyway just a thought about what they can hear.

That would definitely make sense - Morris is the friendlier out of the two, and will happily follow me around when he gets the chance to and really responds to your voice, becoming far more active. Perhaps he is just trying to get out to get to me in that case, as thinking about it I would be chatting to him while I'm in the garden but he would not always be able to see me, so he may be trying to get to the voice.

I automatically chat away to them whenever I am there, but might try being quiet and seeing if I can observe if he still displays this behaviour.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think it might have to do with them hearing each other. Charlie only paces on one side of our yard. On that side the neighbor has a dog.

I know they can tell the differences between different people and definitely have their preferences. I'm a little sad that Charlie is a little distant now after sleeping through most of the winter. He was much friendlier last summer. It's like he forgot who I was.

M

Maggie Cummings

This isn't a very good picture, but Bob walked his perimeter, daily until there was no grass growing there....... he walked miles along that fence.....also, block off the corners so they are not corners....
3kI8U6tl8p96TS31XmM478HaxHkONq6kPMVtzU4eOKo-0Go8qkxWFi2qNFOrjcM6AfD-grqPtpoL4HutlOwZOSLQzUKO43MtHn7ItUqqx_sneTxQfIkkp9OxV4L33Qbhc-9Fncz5yis7IAVmN1OpCNg8JNUyAgx0Y5NhFgkNZvMFCHg_jM-HvPewbkTXb26WLsIN6q0Q6Sqca6fKR-_olqXJ4l0X8Me5jcwS4aW2CKTp_b8eyfx54wij8GzEC6MxIUct7ipl2oRTyloVNHOiskYtnS3A8x21ommIBpLABLN9jUzMErzXLNtwYLNVy1wCwz5zrYz5PNNt7_IY6P-zox7ZJ-0EXE-fKRgLjHzIiNm_VYLAYwvv9OAMw8h2PqCRkCrDJvVmeZIm7Ms1XySXH0Yng3TkEAu15D-N8RNZhf86to6p6OW0fBaRozfK72juzLp_tXkC844HlQrmIcgmcde0fFHFi_wHcTrDgNWd_mS2jUpXism3P3XEwXlMPCoxRxgxc1089LfI8mIqd-V5XcsECLIluI3MizRPeADJXxidscFonCZejptBRR3RydhCn-JR=w903-h677-no

M

Maggie Cummings

See how I blocked off the left corner? Keeps them from trying to climb out there.......

5asWUlIlxcRwWdeeYSujceKyDjTu4QIfUX9_95ygb4l2gLsTQ9afSi_KrYRsgBOMMJfJzMJOxj4XSBQqzGAJ-U5c_ZMlXekS1dkrbDVjMnCI_IHi1CrA6E1aU3MkfVmnQ-hQfirdTgI31hzEO7fU-DCodqvZEjAFEM4ABhS6E9kBuKZc_90K-SE5K6ypvGQh5R7V5Fe9ZwEqpMPXLoGUkNcsC97AIIMXr472gGVcGzXcVsa0TBRtyTusd98YJ2lLArveXiNq2AOd3Pf5mpZ3WKfsWXomq7POVurG6rpaQTyKBFzSvyZVkzuQSBvjCZPXspbPLAj0aLzVdVXDllfNdqKNjE3L9dJmAtJiwvAUUK5IBYmtpgWqm4wehvcpHs0CNNqKI1AZD-LvNFL1wmPRwLgMGK08Umb8o1VHK3ma6lTfP5xB_4JosTPosrfCTNuQynhsXFf3xrKd7IK3ZFflnPmDmaPhUFkvxTNgHfFyhzm8vVgDYxcF8YwpZb7Edg7xvTTS9SpQTdxK5TPH_4NtWkSG6GS8BVKNBROJDsG7ApMKLBhrXLgwQFvXACZX5f5-L-am=w903-h677-no

Nibs

I think it might have to do with them hearing each other. Charlie only paces on one side of our yard. On that side the neighbor has a dog.

I know they can tell the differences between different people and definitely have their preferences. I'm a little sad that Charlie is a little distant now after sleeping through most of the winter. He was much friendlier last summer. It's like he forgot who I was.

oh, that's sad - I hope he is friendlier to you again soon :(

Nibs

See how I blocked off the left corner? Keeps them from trying to climb out there.......

5asWUlIlxcRwWdeeYSujceKyDjTu4QIfUX9_95ygb4l2gLsTQ9afSi_KrYRsgBOMMJfJzMJOxj4XSBQqzGAJ-U5c_ZMlXekS1dkrbDVjMnCI_IHi1CrA6E1aU3MkfVmnQ-hQfirdTgI31hzEO7fU-DCodqvZEjAFEM4ABhS6E9kBuKZc_90K-SE5K6ypvGQh5R7V5Fe9ZwEqpMPXLoGUkNcsC97AIIMXr472gGVcGzXcVsa0TBRtyTusd98YJ2lLArveXiNq2AOd3Pf5mpZ3WKfsWXomq7POVurG6rpaQTyKBFzSvyZVkzuQSBvjCZPXspbPLAj0aLzVdVXDllfNdqKNjE3L9dJmAtJiwvAUUK5IBYmtpgWqm4wehvcpHs0CNNqKI1AZD-LvNFL1wmPRwLgMGK08Umb8o1VHK3ma6lTfP5xB_4JosTPosrfCTNuQynhsXFf3xrKd7IK3ZFflnPmDmaPhUFkvxTNgHfFyhzm8vVgDYxcF8YwpZb7Edg7xvTTS9SpQTdxK5TPH_4NtWkSG6GS8BVKNBROJDsG7ApMKLBhrXLgwQFvXACZX5f5-L-am=w903-h677-no

I'm afraid I can't see the pics on this computer Maggie but will definitely make sure to block the corners!

M

Maggie Cummings

@Big Charlie....All winter (in the PNW)I made Bob get up and go out, snow rain, sleet, he still went out, walked around a bit them, after he went back into his shed he played soccer with a 5 gallon bucket, and stayed awake most of the day. I didn't allow him to sleep in the winter, I tried to make everyday normal for him, and it worked. He got so he would go out in the snow on his own, or the rain, whatever. I spent most of my time in ihs shed with him. He was always so social. He loved being with people. Then he died, at 17. Bladder stone weighed 1.5 pounds. So you can do everything right and they still die. My advice for the day....

Nibs

@Big Charlie....All winter (in the PNW)I made Bob get up and go out, snow rain, sleet, he still went out, walked around a bit them, after he went back into his shed he played soccer with a 5 gallon bucket, and stayed awake most of the day. I didn't allow him to sleep in the winter, I tried to make everyday normal for him, and it worked. He got so he would go out in the snow on his own, or the rain, whatever. I spent most of my time in ihs shed with him. He was always so social. He loved being with people. Then he died, at 17. Bladder stone weighed 1.5 pounds. So you can do everything right and they still die. My advice for the day....

oh that's so sad Maggie - I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he had a great personality x

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you. It's hard to move a 100 pound tortoise if he doesn't want to! I'll try something next winter. I think he'll warm up to me before long this year. He isn't very interested in the treats I've been offering; it's probably still not warm enough. He was sociable with everybody last summer. He will be 17 in 2 months. I realize that every day with him is precious.