Is this normal for a new tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

decoman11

5 Year Member
Today I got a Russian tortoise from Petco and I have had him for about 5 hours now and he wont eat anything I am guessing this is normal because I just got him. I also think he does not like me but again maybe because he is new. Anyway is this normal he also has berried himself for awhile I even tried to soak him which he hated very much. My final question is what food do your tortoise like because I am going to the story tomorrow?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Normal, normal. Give him a week to a month to et used to his new digs. Dark leafy greens. I don't know about anything else Russians can have. Others will have to add to that.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
That's normal. Give your guy some time to get used to his new home. My Russians began to eat on their third day with me, but a lot of people report that it takes a week or longer.

Russian tortoises, like other species in the genus Testudo, are primarily browsers. This means they feed mostly on leafy greens, weeds, and flowers. Offer your tortoise a varied diet, supplemented with calcium and vitamin D3 powder every few days. You can also give him a quality commercial food, like Mazuri Tortoise Diet moistened in warm water. Here is a list of the types of greens and weeds to feed your Russian tortoise.

Produce:
- Romaine lettuce
- Green leaf lettuce
- Red leaf lettuce
- Endive
- Escarole
- Raddichio
- Arugula
- Kale
- Collard greens
- Mustard greens
- Spring mix (a store-bought mixture of many of these)

Weeds and flowers:
- Dandelion
- Prickly lettuce
- Poppy
- Buttercup

Occasionally, your Russian tortoise may also want to eat a little bit of grass. Once a month, as a treat, you can offer a fruit like cucumber, tomato, strawberry, raspberry, or grape. You can give him grated carrots as a monthly treat as well. From time to time, your tortoise might want to eat a slug or a snail, and some Testudo tortoises like mushrooms every now and then. But weeds and leafy greens should really be forming more than 95% of their diet.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
When I rescued my Ophelia at 8 years of age, it took her a while to get use to me and her new enclosure and all the new food I introduced her to. The only thing she ever ate was romain lettuce. I changed her to all sorts of dark leafy greens, Mazuri tortoise diet, and got her coco coir for substrate instead of cat litter she had been on for like 7 years. Plus I got her a Zoo Med Power Sun UVB bulb. I would suggest you get one also if you haven't yet, they put off UVB and they are a good source for daytime heat as well. Give yours time, she will adjust and be a happy tortoise in time. :)

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
When he starts eat get a poop sample to your vet for a parasite check he's most likely wild caught so he needs to be wormed.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
james1974 said:
When he starts eat get a poop sample to your vet for a parasite check he's most likely wild caught so he needs to be wormed.

There are two schools of thought on deworming. One is two deworm wild-caught animals to prevent problems. The other is to deworm if problems have appeared.

I'm of the latter school of thought. My guys were wild-caught, but I never dewormed them, and never needed to. In fact, they have never been to a vet, because they have been healthy (actually, the male did get sick last year in hibernation, but I corrected the problem at home, thanks to advice here on TFO).

Taking a tortoise to a vet and giving him meds can be stressful, so if it's not necessary, why do it? Tortoises are not like dogs, who need vaccines, heartworm meds, sterilization surgery, etc. They're just tortoises, and as long as they are properly fed and cared for, and do not come into contact with other, sick tortoises, they're better off if they just stay home, feeling calm and relaxed, and ingesting only healthful foods and diet supplements. Just know where to take them if problems arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.