Not eating, is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I just got my tortoise yesterday, (have yet to decide on a name so he's just tortoise for now XD) he hasn't eaten this morning. And I'm wondering if this is normal. I'm offering kale, butter lettuce (I think), and a fuscia flower. Any thing wrong about this? He's drinking I think, I see him by the water bowl often. And he likes to put dirt in said water bowl >.< Any thoughts?

Thanks <3

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
it's perfectly normal for a new tortoise in it's new home to not eat for days, maybe even a couple weeks.

what kind of tortoise do you have? I'm not sure of the flower, but those options are okay. some other choices you can find at a grocery store that your tortoise would like include romaine lettuce, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, endive, escarole, dandelion greens and the boxed spring mix. the more variety, the better!

could you describe how you are keeping your pet? (housing, lighting, substrate, outside time) that way the forum members can determine if your tort is just acclimating to it's new home or something else.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Lol I just walked in the room and he was eating the lettuce ^^ I also have some crooked neck squash for him later in the week, I am growing some seeds for him too and a cactus. But all my other greens had gone bad by the time I went out and got him so I had to make a quick dash to farmer's market and buy what looked good XD.

I have him in a 54 gallon rubbermaid container for now, plan to make a larger tortoise table in a couple months when I have more money. Lighting is a 100w powersun. I have yet to take him outside but I am planning an hour as often as I can which would be about three-four times a week. Substrate is 75% Ecoearth and 25% sand. I have a humid hide and the general humidity is at 40% the basking temp is around 85 degrees, though it might go up as I've moved the lamp down a bit. I have a hermann's tortoise. I will have pics up in a minute to have help sexing him, and to show him off <3 Anything else I have forgotten? Thank you for your help <3

stinax182

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Not eating, is it normal?

Cymmie said:
Lol I just walked in the room and he was eating the lettuce ^^ I also have some crooked neck squash for him later in the week, I am growing some seeds for him too and a cactus. But all my other greens had gone bad by the time I went out and got him so I had to make a quick dash to farmer's market and buy what looked good XD.

I have him in a 54 gallon rubbermaid container for now, plan to make a larger tortoise table in a couple months when I have more money. Lighting is a 100w powersun. I have yet to take him outside but I am planning an hour as often as I can which would be about three-four times a week. Substrate is 75% Ecoearth and 25% sand. I have a humid hide and the general humidity is at 40% the basking temp is around 85 degrees, though it might go up as I've moved the lamp down a bit. I have a hermann's tortoise. I will have pics up in a minute to have help sexing him, and to show him off <3 Anything else I have forgotten? Thank you for your help <3

it's always best to have home grown food, if possible. a few veggies and a couple pieces of fruit every couple weeks as treats is great, but too many and your tort might get diarrhea or become ill.

I'm assuming your tort is a baby? if so, the rubbermaid container should be fine for a baby. most members would advice against using sand at all, especially with such low humidity. sand, when consumed (and we all know our torts eat a bit of substrate on accident now and then) can cause impaction and cause your tort to stop eating. some argue that if the tort is well hydrated, it shouldn't hurt but i personally never take the chance, especially with a baby. many people use just ecoearth or you could mix that with some top soil. also, there's cypress mulch or orchard bark. i believe the basking temp should be at 90°-95°, warm side 80°-85°, and a cool side of 75°-80° for your tort.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
My tort is a juvenile around 4 and a half inches about a year and a half, but the 54 gallon is only temporary I plan on making him a much larger outside enclosure and about a two foot longer inside enclosure. I had no idea about the sand thanks for the tip D8 I will change it out as soon as possible. I have to check the basking temp again when I get home. I think it's where it's supposed to be now, since I moved the light closer.

Thanks also for telling me about the veggies, never intended to feed him any fruit if I could help it, but the squash I didn't realize should be also on a rare occasion.

stinax182

5 Year Member
I'd say it's safer to feed your tort a small slice of squash, green pepper, zucchini OR cucumber once a week and a small piece of strawberry, cactus fruit, banana OR apple once a month. honestly, most members would say no fruits, but a tiny strawberry once in awhile isn't going to hurt, especially if your tort loves it.

the best way to temp the enclosure is a temperature gun. i bought one on ebay for 10$. just point and read, ha. the little disk thermometers and probe ones sold at pet stores aren't reliable, always have to be in the enclosure and take too long to temp.

and you're welcome! that's what the forum members are here for! any questions or concerns, we will help :)

Cymmie

5 Year Member
He's finally eating on his own <3 I managed to coax him to eat with some pumpkin spread on some stuff last night, after that he's been eating like crazy today XD SUCCESS!

AbbyWheeler

5 Year Member
It's always best to have home meals, if possible. A few fresh vegetables and a several items of fruits every week as snacks can be good, but too much will make the tortoise ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.