Is this normal shedding?

costac

I've had my Hermani for about 17 years. I'm not sure I've seen shedding quite like this -- maybe I'm paranoid?

He seems to be drinking a lot lately -- I soak him every 1-2 days and he seems to be drinking a lot.

Otherwise, he's active and eating and defecating.

One thing I've neglected in the last months is the calcium powder.

http://imgur.com/a/ZILgB (couldn't upload images to the forum gallery so put them on imgur)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
That does not look good . No vet visits recently by any chance? What does his diet look like? Are you giving him any supplements?

@Yvonne G may have seen this.

costac

Diets is mixed letttuce you buy in a box at grocery store (greens, red, arugula, chicory, etc).

I haven't given him supplements in a months... what should I be giving him? Calcium + D3?

No recent vet visits. Actually never taken him to a vet in his 17 years.

Kasia

Poland
Diets is mixed letttuce you buy in a box at grocery store (greens, red, arugula, chicory, etc).

I haven't given him supplements in a months... what should I be giving him? Calcium + D3?

No recent vet visits. Actually never taken him to a vet in his 17 years.
Your tortie has a deformed shell and your diet is not sufficient to give him all he needs. You need to get him checked because his shedding does not look good at all. Please read caresheet available on this forum and try to improve his conditions. You have a nice shell there so it`s worth it:)

costac

Found the caresheet and made an appt with the vet. The woman at pet store said it hasn't been shedding enough -- probably because I only soak once a week and enclosure has no water. But will take to vet to be sure.

Kasia

Poland
Found the caresheet and made an appt with the vet. The woman at pet store said it hasn't been shedding enough -- probably because I only soak once a week and enclosure has no water. But will take to vet to be sure.
I wouldn't trust that lady:eek: geat to hear that tortie has a comitted owner. Keep us updated on your progress:)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I wouldn't call that shedding, there is something going on.

He looks rather small and skinny and his beak also looks overgrown. Do you give him any cuttlebone? How often do you feed him? I'd put a water bowl in his enclosure as soon as possible.

costac

I wouldn't call that shedding, there is something going on.

He looks rather small and skinny and his beak also looks overgrown. Do you give him any cuttlebone? How often do you feed him? I'd put a water bowl in his enclosure as soon as possible.

Beak is definitely overgrown. No cuttlebone but I've started with the calcium supplements. I feed him every day. But I was only soaking him once a week up until 2 weeks ago -- now do it every day.

costac

Vet took xrays and bloodtest. Xray looks fine. Blood test shows protein deficiency.

He also go vitamin and calcium injections.

But now he seems very tired and sleeps all day. Thankfully is appetite is still there and he attacks food. But he goes to sleep right after eating. He even closes his eyes during his soak (but keeps head up). I moved him away from the heat lamp and he went back to the hot spot so at least he's regulating his temp.

But is all these sleeping normal? Maybe the blood test made him weak? Or the injections? Gonna call the vet tomorrow but would like your opinions.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I was told by my vet that vitamin injections are really just a last resort, if done at all. My initial thought to your turtles skin sloughing off was that it was caused by an overdose from injection, actually, but that couldn't be it.

Can we get a look at his enclosure? Please also list what you feed him, temperature, humidity, substrate.

Kasia

Poland
Vet took xrays and bloodtest. Xray looks fine. Blood test shows protein deficiency.

He also go vitamin and calcium injections.

But now he seems very tired and sleeps all day. Thankfully is appetite is still there and he attacks food. But he goes to sleep right after eating. He even closes his eyes during his soak (but keeps head up). I moved him away from the heat lamp and he went back to the hot spot so at least he's regulating his temp.

But is all these sleeping normal? Maybe the blood test made him weak? Or the injections? Gonna call the vet tomorrow but would like your opinions.
Nope, sleeping all the time is not normal. Try some natural sunlight, take him out for couple of minutes (at least) daily, soak him daily as well and be patient - poor conditions took it's tool. He needs time and proper care. The best lights (sunlight) good substrate and proper tortie diet :). Keep up the good work and do not give up :) hugs and kisses for your shell :)

costac

Update: This morning 10 minutes after the heat lamp turned on he started going for the left over food from yesterday. I threw some more in and he devoured it. Soaked him and he was much more active and alert. Yay!

I'll try out the natural sunlight tomorrow, overcast and raining today. Thanks!